Anyone heard of G.F. Ware?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Tiquer, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

20240302_200340.jpg 20240302_200539.jpg Trying to see if this guy was more than just a legend in his own mind :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2024
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Please take a closeup of the signature.

3. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Added, thanks!

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Anything on the back? And in what part of the world did you get it? And what were you told about it?

Debora

5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

6. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help and info! It came from a seller that picks things up all over in the Northeast US. There is a date of 1932 on the back. I will look for more writing on it today. You can definitely feel the brushstrokes on the canvas.

Attached Files:

7. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I checked the front of the painting and am not really seeing any other writing. I am also attaching a pic of the back:

Attached Files:

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In the future, please post a photograph of the back of a painting including frame. If there are labels, stickers or handwritten notations (such as dates), please post a close-up photograph. And please also photograph the painting from straight on so there is no distortion.

So now we know we're looking for an G.F. Ware who might have been in the American Northeast, perhaps Maine, in 1932. The subject is consistent with that location; the frame is consistent with that date. That's an unusual lighthouse in the background, situated on a headland and surrounded by trees. Here is a list of those found in the U.S.; perhaps it will be helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lighthouses_in_the_United_States

Debora

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted