Featured Anyone heard of Sylvac?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Michelle Davies, Aug 27, 2023.

1. Michelle Davies

Michelle Davies New Member

Hi,

I came across this interesting piece of green coloured pottery in a local shop in West Sussex. Looks like it could be a planter or dish of some sort? The markings at the bottom seem to indicate "SylvaC" with what looks like a model number "4641" and it was made in England.

I've done a little research and found out that SylvaC was founded in 1894 by William Shaw and William Copestake and given the company name of Shaw & Copestake. William Copestake left the in 1894 and in 1895 Mr Richard Hull became William Shaw’s partner in the business. SylvaC was mainly known for producing ornamental animals especially rabbits. Other than animals, SylvaC Pottery included Gnomes, small novelties called ‘Fancies’, Character and Toby Jugs, figures, advertising wares amd tablewares. The SylvaC company briefly ceased production in 1982.

Please does anyone know anything more about SylvaC?
    I read in a wikipedia article that production of SylvaC pieces was resumed in 1998 by the current trademark holder Norman Williams. Is this factually correct? sylvac.jpg sylvac markings.jpg

KSW, lovewrens, Potteryplease and 8 others like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Although quite crude it is very collectable in the UK.

The ones to watch out for are the Scottie Dogs and the Rabbits.
    I have lots in storage and a few pieces in my cabinet.

Here's two rabbit bookends and a vase.

20230827_112050.jpg

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

4. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I see it quite often in my travels. I have never had much luck selling it although I have noted some pieces I have seen online are quite collectable. The serial numbers are a great help in identifying pieces.

5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I found a SylvaC Scottie dog several years ago in a box lot of multiple small animal figurines. I had a hard time selling him in the US, perhaps my asking price was too high ($22.99). I read where the scottie dogs were very popular, but still. He eventually sold in my space at the antique mall for $12.

Here he is. He was so cute with one little raised ear.
    CEFBAD21-945A-431C-B9DD-2E04D6E1564C_500x375.jpg

In the same lot I also had a Josef Originals Pony who brought $20 on eboo. I was very surprised.

06CFE622-D864-48DF-BAB6-802CEB78FA2D_500x375.jpg

KSW, kentworld, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ola that pony is so cute.

I know I had a piece once upon a time with that mark.. but I can't remember what it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted