Anyone help with this Russian medal and American tie tack?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by gregsglass, May 12, 2017.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have had this I think Russian sharp shooter medal. Traded a soldier back in Berlin in the 70s. and a American tie tack with AF bomber? Thanks, Sorry for the losey photos I don't know what happened. The Russian medal says OCOAB n A XnM On the red flag BOPOWnNOBCKnn CPTENOK. The small ns are the backwards ns.
    greg 004.JPG 003.JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Greg, the last two words you listed (on the red flag) are Ворошиловский стрелок (Voroshilovsky shooter or sharpshooter). I haven't figured out the Russian letters for the other part of what you wrote, especially that first part.

Could the first part be осдав? The rest looks like it would be и а хим It's possible that there could be acronyms or abbreviations in there.

Anyway, seeing the gun in the image on the Russian one, it has something to do with shooting. There was actually a Russian movie from 1999 called Voroshilov Sharpshooter (Ворошиловский стрелок) -- here is a description of it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voroshilov_Sharpshooter_(film)

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

Fig, you DO come up with the darndest things!

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Reminds me of the old Art Linkletter show called Kids Say the Darnedest Things. :penguin::penguin::shame::shame:

gregsglass likes this.
  5. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Greg, Figtree is correct it is Voroshilovsky shooter. Voroshilov is the family name of the Soviet military and political leader. He launched the campaign of testing shooters in the Soviet army. Those who showed the best results were named Voroshilovsky shooter.
    The second word is ОСОАВИАХИМ (OSOAVIAHIM). Abbreviation for the political and defense organization which was functioning in the Soviet Union from 1927 to 1948.
    By the way, I have the unique porcelain propaganda figurine for sale OSOAVIAHIMOVKA, that is a woman, a member of this organization.
    Osoaviahimovka.m jpg.jpg

cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  6. gregsglass

Hi Natasha,
    Thank you. I wonder if the medal has any worth? I traded a pair of used blue jeans for it.:rolleyes:
    greg

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There's a maker's mark on the back of the tie clip. It does look like US military unit insignia, but I'm not sure whose.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. gregsglass

Hi,
    The makers name is Leavens Co Attleboro Mass. I apologize for not noting it sooner, damn green snow.:rolleyes:
    greg

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. evelyb30

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  11. evelyb30

More than the jeans would be by now!

12. gregsglass

Hi,
    The used jeans were new about 14.99. Four years wearing worth perhaps 2 bucks. I am stunned at the price of the metal.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted