Featured Anyone know anything about co-star expansion sweetheart bracelets?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kimbert, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

I've kind of been wanting one for my collection but wasn't so invested in the style that I would spend much. Well I found one for inexpensive at the flea market today! These are pretty common I think since I've seen tons on ebay/etsy by co-star and they all say they are from the 1940s . But beyond that I haven't found any info about the company- does anyone know what span of years they made these and if mine could be from later?
    costarr.jpg co-star.jpg

judy, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the find!

judy, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  3. Kimbert

thanks! I was literally searching them online yesterday, and today decided to visit a local fleamarket for the very first time and found one- serendipity!

judy, pearlsnblume, antidiem and 6 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's the way it goes sometimes, congratulations!:)

judy, Bronwen, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

6. Barn Owl

It's so weird how that happens. A few days ago, I read an article about Victorian black jewelry, and saw a picture of a snake bracelet carved from Whitby jet. The next day, I found one at a charity shop!

judy, Any Jewelry, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  7. Kimbert

judy, Bronwen, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  8. Kimbert

I hope you bought it!! so cool!

9. Barn Owl

I couldn't resist :smuggrin:

judy, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The expansion system would not only let it get over your hand, it would have allowed you to wear it in the forties look of over your sweater cuff rather than directly on your wrist. Don't know specifically about this type, but my mother told me about this when passing on some silver cuff bracelets she had from that period.

judy and Kimbert like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wonderful, Barn! I love snake bracelets, and I love jet.:)

judy, Kimbert and Barn Owl like this.
  12. Barn Owl

Unfortunately, it's a bit damaged :( The wire is too long for it, and it's missing the last faceted section of the tail.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Kimbert

I bet it would look great over a long sleeve top, thanks for the tidbit! I'll try it out- I like to wear bangles this way (as you can see in my avatar haha!)

judy and Bronwen like this.
  14. Kimbert

aw that's too bad! Is it still wearable? I bet it's still a very special piece!! I love jet but I've been to hesitant to buy a jet piece online because I feel like genuine jet is easy to mislabel and I can't tell from pictures!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

16. Kimbert

ah ha thank you!! I hadn't looked into the little WH mark on there "Co-Star jewelry was manufactured by W&H Jewelry, a Providence, Rhode Island based company who made jewelry and watch attachments. They were in operation from 1943 to 1965, and offered WWII sweetheart jewelry." quoted that blurb from this etsy listing of another bracelet https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/933...MIvrO065T93gIVLv_jBx397AQDEAYYASABEgKvJvD_BwE

judy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I wana see the bracelet!!!!!!!

18. Kimbert

me too!! feel free to post it here Barn Owl if you are inclined to share, dont worry about thread hi-jacking!!

judy, Any Jewelry and Barn Owl like this.
  19. Barn Owl

As you can see, it needs some work. :( I have to figure out how to fix the wire.
    20181201_012610.jpg 20181201_012656.jpg

judy, Any Jewelry, Xristina and 2 others like this.
  20. Kimbert

it's GORGEOUS! I'm sure something can be done about it, a piece definitely worth rescuing, maybe someone handier on here might have some ideas

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted