Featured Anyone know anything about these Chinese marked vases please?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SandyD, Nov 20, 2017.

1. SandyD

SandyD Member

Hi me again. I was going to list some Chinese marked vases on ebay, again being advised by the local Auction House that they are probably mid century circa 1960's.

However, someone has led me to believe they may be quite valuable, saying they are Chinese 19th century vases. There are 3 Dragon vases, 2 Plum Blossom vases and a smaller single vase. As such, I dont know who to believe!

Does anyone here know anything about them, who the makers are, what the varying markings are on them, or any more information they can give me please?

Thank you so much in advance.

Dragon vases (800x800).jpg Plum Blossom vases 2 (800x800).jpg Chinese small vase (800x800).jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

What did they suggest to support their idea of great value..?
    Could the read the markings.....or identify the circle ..?

Christmasjoy, judy and kyratango like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Your marks need to be turned 1/4 counter clockwise. The best online resource is
    http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml. These look like Kangxi, but looking at all the marks and pictures doesn't help me tell when yours were made. It says there was a time when reign marks weren't allowed, and sometimes empty circles were used, but that could also have been done recently.

Christmasjoy, judy, lloyd249 and 3 others like this.
  4. SandyD

SandyD Member

A very nice English gentleman messaged immediately I had listed them on ebay UK to tell me to take them off, because I hadnt listed them correctly and had listed the auction prices too low! He said he was a chinese antiques dealer and told me the vases were Chinese 19th century. Another man messaged at the same time asking me to sell them to him outside of ebay, and offered £300 for them all. I told that to the first man, who said the 2nd man had obviously offered me that price, because he knew they were worth a lot more.

Therefore I just wondered if anyone on here knew anything about the vases (because obviously I have absolutely no idea!) before I do anything stupid with them. Thanks.

Christmasjoy, judy and kyratango like this.
  5. komokwa

stupid...is only if you knew about them..:happy:
    Smart....is what you're doing now....!!
    Wait for the right eyes here, to get on these....and hopefully we can point you in the right direction..

Christmasjoy, judy, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  6. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

People always post all kinds of nice Asian vases here :jawdrop:, I rarely find nice blue and white porcelain myself.

Anyway, I noticed the cherry blossom pattern (middle one) is still being made and vases are available in different shapes and sizes, there are probably old ones too, I don't know anything about that.

https://www.houzz.com/product/85843493-blue-and-white-plum-blossom-wide-mouth-vase-asian-vases

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-St...ssom-Porcelain-Contour-Vase-14-5/111856263928

https://www.houzz.com/product/85935063-blue-and-white-cherry-blossom-vase-asian-vases

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Christmasjoy, judy and SandyD like this.
  7. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Both are "KangXi" Reign mark. But neither are made during that period.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

am curious and wanting to learn more. can please explain why neither are made during that period?

9. SandyD

SandyD Member

Thank you for your comment. Are you saying you believe them to be copies made at a later date? I have no idea about them and would like to know how to distinguish between a 19th century and a later one, so that I know for future reference please. Any help you can offer me will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

10. komokwa

It's been said here before that newer works can have older style marks on them, in a way to respect older craftsmanship & designs.

I'm no expert...but here I've seen many Chinese vases that don't match the marks with the age they were made..:(

11. Phaik Hooi

is it because they are the wrong shape for that period?

12. SandyD

SandyD Member

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. SandyD

SandyD Member

Hi. Are you just referring to the two Prunus blossom vases? Or all 3 sets please?

14. SandyD

SandyD Member

Thanks - these links are very helpful.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Phaik Hooi

@SandyD i was hoping @Asian Fever would explain further. hence my followup question re: shape. i think i read somewhere that shapes of the pieces are one of things to consider, so i am referring to all of the vases. my apologies, i am not knowledgeable about chinese porcelain and marks :(:(

Christmasjoy, Asian Fever and judy like this.
  16. SandyD

SandyD Member

Thanks for your comments. I was hoping Asian Fever would reply too :)

judy and Phaik Hooi like this.
  17. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Handwriting is the easiest way to recognize the authenticities and we can recongnize majority of them. (What I mean is not whether the words match, what I mean is the shape and ) However, it is not always true. The glaze, the neck and foot is another way to tell the age of them, but it depend on experience. There's ton of ways to make porcelains look old even with "Clams Light"(Chinese saying) and "glory light"(Chinese saying). And I have seen reproduced vases and plates using authentic old foots and necks.

18. SandyD

SandyD Member

I guess the only way for me to know is to ask a different auction house valuer to see what they say, because I have absolutely no idea about any of this, nor what would be 19th century or mid Century, even armed with all the information given on here. Thanks.

judy, Christmasjoy and Phaik Hooi like this.
  19. komokwa

Sometimes we can only do so much from a photo....even good photo's like yours.
    But suffice it to say.....so far no one here has said these are from the 1800's.

You say a Chinese antique dealer was in touch with you on eBay.....maybe another conversation with them is in order......or maybe.....they didn't like you selling what they sell......at a lower price..?

Just saying....

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  20. Phaik Hooi

tq!! :happy::happy:

judy, SandyD and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted