Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Furniture
>
Anyone know anything about this large upright Chest?
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="stocker08, post: 3513623, member: 16884"]Ah good. I didn't add any varnish...but I basically cut the oil by 1/2 for the first coat and 1/3 for the second. Applied with a cotton cloth....don't think there's any debris that should get into it. I am now just waiting however long it takes for the coat to dry completely to apply more. The Tung Oil gives it a really nice deep color that I really wasn't expecting. Based upon the dusty, basically colorless thing that I received, that is. If I could go back....I would have tested it prior....as to better attempt to match the wood fill that I used. Fortunately the face of the piece was in pretty good condition and needed very little. But the sides I went pretty heavy on in places and it is quite noticeable. Oh well. That will be a project for later on. I've now got a few other things (grandparents vintage coffee tables and a cane weave rocking chairs....neither of which are nearly this large or intricate) that I plane to refinish as well....seeing as how I've taken quite a liking to this project. Hopefully will have a finished project in a few weeks.</p><p><br /></p><p>Thanks for the help![/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="stocker08, post: 3513623, member: 16884"]Ah good. I didn't add any varnish...but I basically cut the oil by 1/2 for the first coat and 1/3 for the second. Applied with a cotton cloth....don't think there's any debris that should get into it. I am now just waiting however long it takes for the coat to dry completely to apply more. The Tung Oil gives it a really nice deep color that I really wasn't expecting. Based upon the dusty, basically colorless thing that I received, that is. If I could go back....I would have tested it prior....as to better attempt to match the wood fill that I used. Fortunately the face of the piece was in pretty good condition and needed very little. But the sides I went pretty heavy on in places and it is quite noticeable. Oh well. That will be a project for later on. I've now got a few other things (grandparents vintage coffee tables and a cane weave rocking chairs....neither of which are nearly this large or intricate) that I plane to refinish as well....seeing as how I've taken quite a liking to this project. Hopefully will have a finished project in a few weeks. Thanks for the help![/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Furniture
>
Anyone know anything about this large upright Chest?
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...