Anyone Know If This Antique TV Show Concept Went Forward Or Not?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I like Lara but she was a mess on Antiques Roadshow. I just thought her too over the top in self importance on the roadshow. Besides showing her stupid side. She was much more fun on the other shows.
    greg

Joe2007 likes this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The casting call was only 7 months ago... I don't know how long it takes from there to get a show done. Sounds like they already had a station in mind that they were working with.

Lara Spencer has recently mostly been in the news for announcing her engagement in January 2018.

Joe2007 likes this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I like her on Flea Market Flip, but a little of her goes a long way.

The show could be interesting, but I am not sure how much of it will be real.
    Too many of these type of picking shows are too staged.

Awhile back someone advertised that the American Pickers guys were going to be out here on LI for an estate sale, so if you wanted to possibly be seen on camera this was a chance. I did not attend. I am the kind of person who hates having my photo taken. I look awful when I attend these sales, dressed down since you never know what kind of mess you are walking into or how dirty it is.

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

After all of the horrible comments we have heard about EBTH I would be inclined to be quite wary of the show. JMHO.

6. gregsglass

Hi Pearls,
    If dressed too nice the owners price will go up!!! I stopped at a yard in my grass cutting rags at 8AM and asked a price of a non marked piece. The "lady" said was 10 dollars. I finished my chores and was going to work at 2PM and decided to stop and purchase it. I was in a shirt and tie and driving the BMW. I picked up the piece and went to the "lady" to pay. She saw me parking the car and walking up. The price was 25 dollars.!!! I said you offered to me for 10 dollars this morning. She said she did not. Needless to say I did not pay her price. I went back the next day and the price was 4 dollars. I bought it then. I learned a very smart lesson do not look like you could pay more.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Totally agree Greg. I know they size us up for sure.
    I see some others wearing diamonds to these sales and get all dressed up too.
    Not me, give me my old jeans and a comfy old shirt, my sneakers and I am good to go looking for goodies. I do wear my Uggs in the winter time tho, gotta stay warm.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I never wear anything really good to tag sales. Clean yes, but nothing in particular good. Estate sales are different if they know you. I went to one today where the dealer knows my name, so dressing down wouldn't have helped. Of course, dressing nicely for an estate sale meant clean jeans and polar fleece, so....

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  9. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

That will be fullll of drama Im sure.
    When you get more than 1 or 2 family members involved on estate sales that are personal to them.. mm. It can get awkward quick

But yes, Ive learned to dress down for sales, lol

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I know a couple of dealers who regularly do Brimfield and they say when the buying is happening on Flea Market Flip is absolutely staged. There are also dealers who won't allow the crew in their booths, they chase them away!

11. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

It HAS to be staged...

no one in their right mind would pay what they do for sone of that stuff!

I have a friend that was on an episode of a similar show, while it was mostly real there were definitely amped up scenes and some shots that were shot over and over and over

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Lara steers them to some piece; you know that was set up beforehand. She also has "favorite dealers" - probably guys who get their stuff as trash pickers and can sell it for cheap.

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Lots of drama is great for ratings. I'd think they would have a lot of material to work with for storylines with a show based on estate sales. I've been to enough estate auctions to see family members fighting over stuff and getting into silly bidding wars over junk.

14. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see a EBTH appraiser on antiques roadshow this season.

15. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I do like to watch Flea Market Flip, it gives me ideas and I notice trends. The last ones I watched when they painted furniture very often they painted the legs and base and stained the top. Maybe brown furniture is slowly creeping back "in"!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Figtree3

A trial episode (I think a trial) of this show just appeared on HGTV within the past half hour. Lara Spencer was the narrator but did not appear on camera. However, somebody who is a member here appeared as auctioneer on the show. Many of us know him from the old eBay boards and a little bit here. Adrian!

My own review of the show in general is that it needs some work because many of the people did not come across as comfortable on camera. Adrian was not one of the uncomfortable ones. The auction at the end was my favorite part of the show.

SBSVC, Christmasjoy and Joe2007 like this.
  17. gregsglass

Hi,
    Hurray for Adrian!!!!!!!! I just knew he was going to do something great with himself!!!!!!
    greg

SBSVC, Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What did they call the show?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. Figtree3

They called it just "Everything But the House." It was on at 9:00 Central time this morning. And my TV guide didn't even show that it would be on. The reason I knew is that Adrian is my friend on Facebook and he had posted that it was going to be on, and the time. In his original post he said that he didn't know if they had come up with a name for the show, so I'm not sure if that will be the name if it's picked up as a regular show. And he didn't indicate if he would be involved in more than one episode.

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Well, darn. I just posted the info about Adrian's show, which I missed today, on another thread before I saw this.

Draft saved Draft deleted