Featured Anyone know more about this Unusual Ansonia clock?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Paul Lloyd, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Paul Lloyd

Paul Lloyd Member

Hello to all at Antiquers!

Please can anyone help provide some more information on this Ansonia Clock Co. clock. It almost looks like an alarm clock but is very large. I'm guessing about 40-50cm tall. I'm thinking of buying this from an auction but would love to get some more information before I commit.

Many thanks in advance. 1100063066_edit_144890337032056.jpg 1100063068_PREVIEW_edit_145063869499217.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess institutional. Is it electric ? It'd make a real statement on a wall.

Figtree3, Paul Lloyd and judy like this.
  3. Paul Lloyd

Paul Lloyd Member

Thank you for time to reply, I agree and I thought the same. I could also imagine this clock in a shop display.

lvetterli likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nautical? There is one similar in the family, but now I can't remember who ended up with it.

Figtree3 and Paul Lloyd like this.
  5. Paul Lloyd

Paul Lloyd Member

This is a possibility, it has a bulk head wall clock appearance to the main body but the handle to the top and feet makes me think differently. I won the clock from auction in the end for £62 (which includes fees) I hope I have done well... Time will tell... Excuse the pun!

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

oh...really......ok then......

it looks to be missing it's ' second hand '....
    does that mean it's still..... second hand ??? :happy::happy::playful::playful:

7. Paul Lloyd

Paul Lloyd Member

That actually made me laugh out loud although it doesn't take much. I'm hoping I can source a second hand on ebay but most of them are quite small so may be tricky to find.

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

I have my moments !

Glad I could tickle your funny bone !!;):happy::happy::happy:

good luck finding a 2nd hand second hand !!..:playful::playful:

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and lvetterli like this.
  9. komokwa

........... hehehe........that one made 'me' laugh....:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  10. komokwa

you'll need to find the right key as well...;)

when u get it .....open er up and show us the mechanism..!!!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I hope we get to see the mechanism, too.

I found an online forum run by the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors (located in the United States). Looks like this may also be a good place to ask.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/categories/clocks.296/

Of course, Antiquers is a great place, too!

komokwa likes this.
  12. Virginia

Virginia New Member

There's a sold Ansonia clock on liveauctioners.com that looks a lot like yours, only it has a wood frame. Does your clock look like it might have been enclosed in a wood frame? A search for "Ansonia nautical clock" brings up a fair number of similar clocks - same clock face but with wooden frames.

Are we allowed to provide links? Still a bit new to the site and not sure about links or screenshots, etc.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Good Grief!

lvetterli likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

We are allowed to provide links for research purposes, which is what you want to do in this case. You can also provide a photo or screenshot from a site, but just make sure you credit the site for it.

(A seller is not allowed to include links to something they are selling, except in the Sell forum in the bottom section of this site. I know that is not what you are asking... but just in case somebody else reads this, thought I would mention it.)

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  15. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Thank you for that info.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted