Anyone know period of lights?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by JonW, Jul 14, 2018.

1. JonW

JonW Member

Apologies for double posting - I added a thread in introductions then read better to post questions here.

I've recently moved into an old victorian house which has these lights in the hallway. I'm interested to know what period/style they are as I haven't seen anything similar from Google search.

They are made of brass with some kind of hard paint on top.

Any insights would be much appreciated! 1531558985458269.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

More and close up photos please. The style is early 20th C, but those were reproduced in the 50s. Sounds like they may be ormolu, or some muppet has overpainted them.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Jon, you can still go back to edit and delete your picture from the other thread and add a reference to this thread. Otherwise people will be answering one and not know about the other, which leads to confusion.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and judy like this.
  4. JonW

JonW Member

Thanks. The story goes that they are original to the house but not sure if just legend or not.

Please ignore messy rewire - I did that as they were buzzing!

1531561783232279.jpg 1531561783499553.jpg 1531561782670795.jpg

5. Ownedbybear

I think they're period - late 19th/early 20th. The glass and metal links look right. Are you sure they're metal? They look as though they're made to emulate stone or marble. I'd take them down and spend a loooong time cleaning them. Gently.

It would be useful to see inside that bulb fitting, too.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look 19th century to me, so I would say original to the house.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. JonW

JonW Member

Thank you. Much appreciated. I have taken them down and cleaned but the coating won't clean any further. I don't want to push it until I know what the coating is and can use correct method.

Definitely metal as I had to take the coating back to get an earth connection. It was brass.

I've attached photo of connection in one of the arms. The centre connection is difficult to get to. The centre connection is the same but with a hole at top to allow cable connections from arms.

Thanks again for your help.

1531562979262790.jpg

8. JonW

JonW Member

Also, do you know which country they are from? Just interested to get any history about them

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

British fitment, then. ;) I'm now in two minds and wondering if they were converted. If they've no sign of that, then I think they're later than I first thought.

I agree on being careful with that coating. I think it's some kind of faux stone effect paint.

10. Ownedbybear

I have a slightly cheeky suggestion. ;) Email this bunch: https://www.drewpritchard.co.uk/

Say you might be having them restored or even selling them. See what they say about age and that finish.

11. JonW

JonW Member

Thanks. Yes, the house is in Leeds. It's just someone in the house (split into flats) said they might be Italian. I have no idea!

There are holes for cable in the base of the arms and channels in the arms. The connectors also screw into the base of the arm - so I assumed that they were made for electic. The house was built in 1890 so just at time electric lighting was starting to be used.

Thanks - I will follow your advice!

12. Ownedbybear

The fitting is British, rather than European, but it mght well have been changed or updated. That pineapple finial is very British, and the shape certainly looks early 20th. I think they're super, and well worth restoring gently. The glass dangles remind me of some on fittings my parents had, bought in the late 40s. So I'm still undecided!

13. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I would check with the landlord regarding the wiring, you might have nullified the insurance.
    Only approved professional electrical work can be carried out on rental properties.

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't think they are as old as the house. I am thinking more art deco period, 20s-30s, but could have been made as much as a couple decades later.

15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Despite some peripheral touches of an earlier stylistic period - the pineapple finials, the acanthus leaf bases & the crystal dangles - my immediate reaction to the overall shape was that they are art deco. While I can see a designer of that period incorporating elements from an earlier time, I simply cannot imagine the shades being by a Victorian era designer.

Also, if they always hung by those chains, & I see no reason to think they did not, can't see how they were ever anything other than electric. No way to get gas to them.

I'm voting with Brad.

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

BTW, I love them & hope you can bring them back to regular use.

Compared to the rest of the body, the one dangle shown looks extremely crude, both glass/crystal & the wires attaching it. Any chance these were added somehow?

Christmasjoy, i need help and Sandra like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Pritchard will know.

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  18. JonW

JonW Member

Thanks all much appreciated.

The one dangle was put back on... by me. Temporary fix. Ceilings are 3.5 m so would have to have keen eyes to spot from ground. They are fully working.

I won't change them as really like them now. Hated them on first sight!

Thanks again.

19. Ownedbybear

20. JonW

JonW Member

Electronic cigarette element wire actually! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted