Anyone know this Doll? Kinda Creepy

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by trip98, May 25, 2024.

1. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

DSC_0869 copy.jpeg DSC_0871 copy.png DSC_0772 copy.png DSC_0761 copy.png From a lot of 12+ dolls. Most I was able to identify. This one has me stumped. Maybe an old body and repro head. The head is heavy and looks like it has pancake makeup on over white base. Body has original sticker used until 1917, G A Schwarz, Philadelphia - a predecessor of F.A.O. Schwarz.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    kyratango and lovewrens like this.
  2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  3. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

lol having a little problem with the photos!

kyratango and Marote like this.
  4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

This is the guy responsible for the nightmares I will be having...

GA-SCHWARZ1902-1832-1920.jpg

kentworld, Figtree3, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I saw the photos no problem when I first looked, but upon viewing again, I could not click and see larger detail.

Difficult to know what is going on by these photos. The head could be repro....or old repainted. The closed eyelid? Original age, or ? Having the doll in hand would tell so much more.

The sticker on the body looks almost too good, but..........?

Assuming nothing on the back of the head?

Hopefully someone will have some answers.

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

What type of dolls were in the lot? Same type/era?

Lucille.b, pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Where did that second photo with the label come from?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Most of dolls from same era and made in Germany, some are listed right now on ebay All the small dolls, I sold last year. Now selling the larger up to 20". Kestner, Simon & Halbig Kämmer & Reinhardt, Armand Marseille, R&B. Konig Wernicke. I don't think any are extraordinary.

pearlsnblume, kyratango and judy like this.
  10. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Back of the head under wig two in-mold holes no marks

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

@sassafras
    @

Think I can think of the 2nd name? Primarily collects Barbies!:sorry:

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Will check in tomorrow for knowledge.

pearlsnblume and trip98 like this.
  14. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Lucille.b, pearlsnblume and Marote like this.
  15. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

I agree something isn't right with the head. Could be a hobbiest replacement for a bisque one that was broken at some point over the years. Actually the whole thing could be a (fairly) recent hobby remake but if so I'm not sure what the deal is with the sticker?

trip98, Lucille.b and Marote like this.
  16. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

There were several manufacturers who made character babies like this, although Kestner and Kammer & Reinhardt were the most prolific. I would expect the head to be marked if it was by either of them. They were both very good about markings, although there are exceptions.

Most of the character babies had solid domes and did not have wigs. Have you removed the wig yet? Is it a solid dome or does it have a pate? If it's a pate, can you please remove it so we can see the inside of the head?

Can you show a pic of the fingers on the right hand? I'm not seeing the fingernail lines, but that could be the angle of the photo. That could be an indication that there was some repair work to the fingers. Otherwise the body and sticker look original to me.

A couple of notes about the head so far....the painting itself is actually not terrible, although the coloring is harsh. The lashes are well done, but I would expect to see painted lower lashes too. The longer brows would have been feathered, while the shorter brows would likely be single stroke (like K&R Kaiser Baby). Both are things that I would expect on a factory painted character baby from this era of production.

I have an idea on what's going on, but I'll hold that until we see more pics. ;)

Any Jewelry, Figtree3, trip98 and 5 others like this.
  17. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Just an FYI for those that don't know....
    The two holes in the back of the head were used for tying the eye rocker (weighted sleep mechanism) in place so that it didn't bounce around during shipping and break the heads.

komokwa, Lucille.b, Marote and 2 others like this.
  18. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

DSC_0763.JPG DSC_0762.JPG DSC_0872 copy.JPG I fairly positive the body is original... it will take me awhile to remove the glued wig and post photos. Looks like repairs on hands.

Marote likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Bou primarily collects Sindy dolls.:)

BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you AJ..........I forgot that too!

I haven't caught her here lately........ Embarrased I couldn't remember her name!:sorry:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted