Anyone read Chinese marks on pottery?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SarahAR, Jul 19, 2018.

1. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

20180719_180200.jpg received_10156073671477639.jpeg I don't think this piece is old, but I'd still like to know what this says! Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Mugzinnys and Bakersgma like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, SarahAR. Posting a picture of the whole piece will also help.

And while you're at it, it would be a good idea if you went back to your original post, click on Edit and use the Full Image option for your picture of the mark. It will make it much easier for people to see.

Mugzinnys likes this.
  3. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Mugzinnys and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

Just got done scrolling through that :) I tried translating the picture with Google translator and it returned Tao De Porcelain Chang. Not sure if that's correct or not.

Mugzinnys likes this.
  5. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

how do you tranlate a picture with google tranlate?

6. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

The Google translate app will use your camera to read and translate text. Pretty ingenious!

Mugzinnys, NewEngland and i need help like this.
  7. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

Tried again and here's what I got:

received_10156073986207639.jpeg

Mugzinnys and charlie cheswick like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Ingenious. Only one problem - Chinese marks are read upper right, lower right; upper left, lower left.

Mugzinnys and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

I would bet Google engineers thought of that! ;) However it seems to change each time you move your finger around a different direction to highlight the text, so I don't think it's a perfect system.

Mugzinnys likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

It seemed to work okay for my grandson's week in China last year. But probably only for typing questions into his phone in English and getting the answers translated back to English.

Mugzinnys likes this.
  11. Mugzinnys

Thanks for sharing

12. Mugzinnys

I love the possibilities here has anyone ever had an accurate translation using their phone cameras translating from Chinese to English.

Draft saved Draft deleted