Featured Anyone read Japanese? Marks on vintage Obi Sash

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by trip98, Jan 3, 2024.

1. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

DSC_0618 copy.jpeg DSC_0588 copy 2.jpeg DSC_0593 copy.jpeg New Years Resolution: Go through old bins and donate or sell. I have a bin of vintage obis and kimonos that need to be sorted and sold. The super fancy Kimonos sold many years ago. A couple interesting obis in the bin, one with embroidered marks. It is not long enough to be considered a Maiko obi, but curious of what the marks say. Photos coming...Okay photos not great. Overcast today and these things are long! Best I can do for today.
    1st is black silk satin charmeuse with embroidery fans, other side with the marks issilk tie dye? multi-color design, DSC_0594 copy.jpeg View attachment 467422

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Following....:happy:

3. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

black silk charmeuse with hand painted dragon, DSC_0603 copy.jpeg DSC_0602 copy.jpeg

4. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

3rd DSC_0613 copy.jpeg DSC_0615.JPG is tan silk with metallic silver thread and embroidery boat and two birds,

5. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

misc sets, still sorting DSC_0607 copy.jpeg

moreotherstuff and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

As an old quilter...you're making me drool! I wouldn't know what to do with them either, but Asian textiles are a Good Thing.

trip98 likes this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Some really beautiful items-I think I'm turning Japanese.
    PS-If these are the 'leftovers',the ones you sold must have been glorious !

trip98 likes this.
  8. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Yes, it was a very interesting lot over 150 Kimonos, actually sold most at advertised in home sale with a very good assistant salesperson, people went nuts for them. I kept a few. The lot was from upper class woman who was a Ikebana master in Japan with her flower arrangements in published books.

moreotherstuff and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

a women's Minamoto Kinryo Obi with black embroidery 源如 Minamoto and red embroidery 金陵 says Kinryo.

There is a brand name of 'KINRYO' which comes from the story that the confucian scholar, Rai-Sanyou (1780-1832), visited Kotohira and called this area 'KINRYO' because he thought this area resembled Chinese ancient city Kinryo (Nanjing).

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, trip.:happy:

11. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

thank you couch potato! Your avatar reminds me of my brother, a sculpture and mixed media artist who does work like your avatar with catchy names too.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted