Anyone recognize the mark on this ring - Arabic, but...?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by evelyb30, Feb 7, 2018.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Where did this come from?

The only mark on this relatively recent ring looks like a V with an Arabic letter z- or dh-equivalent inside. If it were Egyptian or Iraqi there ought to be a full set of marks. I'm hoping the tortoise-looking inlay on top is just some sort of funky enamel or other substance.

DSCF7414.JPG DSCF7412.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Both pictures are a bit blurry. The mark in the triangle looks a bit like an old Tunisian 'sahha' or guarantee mark, but that was never in a triangle.
    Is the inlay cold to the touch?

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. evelyb30

Unfortunately no. I can try again, but it's a bitty mark. It looks a bit like a question mark when you have the ring on. It looks like a 1950s Egyptian date mark, but without the others...dunno. The Tunesian ones I can see don't work.

http://hallmarkwiki.com/?country=Tunisia

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

Best I can do in the dark, or close to it. I have a hunch the letter is upside-down, but that's how it's marked on the ring itself.
    DSCF8111.JPG DSCF8118.JPG DSCF8114.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2018-2-7_19-32-49.jpeg

sorry....only reminds me of this....

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It does, except backwards:
    upload_2018-2-7_19-31-13.png

Middle East/North Africa still feel right. Might be a maker's mark. Don't think you have to worry that the tortoise looking stone is actually tortoise. If you can buff it a little & get a sharper photo, maybe among us we'll work it out. My first thought was that it is cut from an operculum, something like this.

7. Bronwen

And quite rightly, too.

8. evelyb30

I think the ring predates the Guess logo, from the wear on it. It'll have to wait until daylight when I get a better shot of it.

9. Bronwen

Just to be clear, I don't think the ring is by Guess, just that it was a good call by komo to see the similarity. Will be interested to have a better look at the stone. If it is something of the sort I mentioned, a drop of oil might be in order to bring it out.

10. Bronwen

One of my ongoing quests is to figure out what shell was used for cameos like this one. They turn up only rarely & are different from helmet shell. There's a similarity with the stone in your ring.

Ceres Metanira 1.jpg
    Ceres Metanira 2.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

The second mark on that page is the 'sahha' or guarantee mark, but that was never in a triangle. I guess it isn't by Guess, but it could still be a question mark?

The inlay doesn't look like real tortoise shell, with that thin line in it. Dyed horn, faux tortoise? Maybe even amber. Can you see the back?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yes, I doubt it's a Guess ring....only that it reminds me of that logo.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. evelyb30

Guess never made silver - I finally got smart and checked it to make sure. There isn't much to see on the back. The top feels plasticky when warmed up - possibly a type of amber?

DSCF8122.JPG DSCF8123.JPG

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any kind of smell when warmed up?

15. evelyb30

None at all that I can tell. I think it probably is some sort of plastic or resin or whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted