Featured Anyone recognize these emerald, diamonds and seed pearl earrings design? Maker? Era?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I purchased these earrings with the description gold earrings with emeralds, diamonds and seed pearls. I did a diamond and seed pearls test, they come as real diamonds and real pearl, and I presume the green stones are natural emeralds.
    I think they are 9 carat gold, almost 3 grams, but they are not hallmarked. Also around 3 centimetres long.
    The diamond is around 0.01 each, so about 0.02 carat in both earrings. Each earring has 12 emeralds, 4 of them a bit bigger than the rest, 24 emeralds in total. Screenshot_20210328-192617_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20210328-192531_eBay.jpg 20210212_112135.jpg
    20210212_112017.jpg I did some research, some of the Channel pices had a bow in early days.
    Any ideea of the design, age and maker? Did anyone come accross this design.
    I like them allot.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simoan

Bronwen, judy and ulilwitch like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

They are very beautiful and will look stunning on!.
    Have you been all over them with a loupe?. Sometimes the hallmarks are very tiny and can be on the wires.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd bet they're marked too. Go over them with the edge of your fingernail to feel for rough spots. Odds are the rough spot(s) are your mark. The stones look more like tourmaline or spinel or something in these shots than emeralds. A good jeweler would know the difference.

4. Simona Buhus

Yes, there is nothing, I looked with a loupe and with the fingers, no hallmark.
    Found one pair in the internet, same situation, no hallmark, they were a antique jewllery shop. They had no details on their website, just "Victorian style emerald earrings ". Also they mentioned 9 carat gold.
    Nothing about the design or actual era.

Bronwen, ulilwitch and antidiem like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If not Victorian they're sure wanna-bes. Knowing what the white metal is on the front would help figure out how old they are.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very pretty!!

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The box is British and their current phone number, but they sell older jewellery. Having said that, it's unusual to get phone numbers shown without the STD code much after the 80s.

They do look Victorian and the lack of marks is typical.

8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

These are what unoiled natural emeralds look like, most of them. These are not the rough grade dull emeralds you see today. The diamond cut would also offer a clue. I vote Victorian at least.

9. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Ok, this could just be me but on the top of the earrings backs, left hand side very top above the pearl on each. One on the left looks like WF and the earring on the right looks sort of like JR. This doesn't make any sense to me at all though. Like I said, it could just be me.

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

There is no way to tell what the stones are by looking at a photo. You will have to have them tested to know what they are.

I see markings on the inside of the top backs of the ear wires also, take a look there.

Beautiful earrings!

11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

On the back of the earring, the one on the right looking at the picture, enlarge and look to the left of the open-backed diamond. I am seeing letters, one of them appears to be a K.

Bronwen, judy and Simona Buhus like this.
  12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Modern in Victorian\Edwardian style, made in Thailand or India, gilt silver and silver.
    Lots of them on EBay... Generally described as antique or vintage...:rolleyes:
    The clue is the round holes for stones on back (mise à jour) antiques are not made this way, the holes were hand saw made.
    The ear wire hook has too a little angle few millimeters at the end on modern pieces:cyclops:

Bronwen, cxgirl, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  15. Simona Buhus

The box is my personal one, did not come with the earrings. Thank you for pointing that out, I did not realize that the box also is important when looking at jewllery, it's something to keep my eyes open.
    They don't have any hallmarks, you are right.
    Any ideea abot the age, year? Or design?

16. Simona Buhus

Hi,
    Thank you for the reply, I can see the K in the photo and even I can see a Y, but when looking with a loupe 60x , I can't see anything. Is this possible? Can it be just a shadow?
    I spent 30 min this morning with 60x loupe, could not see a scratch.
    I did see however few black dots in one of the emerald stones, and I am 99% sure they are natural emeralds. The others are clear, but one has few black dots..
    Also the cut of the diamond is very diffrent then the cut of my new jewllery diamonds.
    The front is silver colour, the back is gold colour, with a black tone probably called patima on the front between the stones.
    Since I joined this forum, I learn to apreciate this aspect of a jewllery as before I used to clean them like crazy.
    I found something similar on 1stDibs but with rubies, could not see any details there as they were sold.
    Any idea on the age or design?
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    @Any Jewelry Any thoughts?

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Aha. ;)

Some boxes can be really useful clues - the fitted ones especially.

Bronwen, komokwa, judy and 2 others like this.
  18. kyratango

Screenshot_20210329-110525_Samsung_Internet.jpg

The arrow shows the little angle, characteristic of modern shepherd's hook ear wires.

quirkygirl, Bronwen, Ce BCA and 3 others like this.
  19. kyratango

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou for showing the difference @kyratango , I’ve really learned something here today :)

David Kiehl, Bronwen, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted