Featured Anyone seeing the 'Marie Kondo effect' at your local thrift stores?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

The 'Marie Kondo effect'? Thrift stores nationwide see an uptick in donations
    https://www.today.com/home/marie-kondo-effect-thrift-stores-nationwide-see-uptick-donations-t146810

Our thrift stores seem to be a little more crowded than normal but I haven't see too much of an impact in my area. Same piles of mass low-value junk and same surprisingly high prices at thrifts. Anyone else seeing or hearing anything?

I don't watch too much television so I'm kind of out of the loop but I've been seeing lots of conversations online about the new show and getting rid of clutter in general.

Your Thoughts?

2. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

i'm just watching the ad of this marie kondo,and this marie kondo seems like encouraging people to throw their goods away:hilarious:

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I watched 3 episodes to see what all the fuss was about. I got the impression that people threw stuff away, wasn't anything said about recycling or donating their items, or maybe I missed that part. I'm hoping they donated their stuff. The couple in one house took out 150 bags of garbage (as they described it), the house had lots of stuff but didn't look like a hoarder house with garbage/stuff piled everywhere. It was clean, they just had lots of stuff.

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The biggest effect I've seen this show have is that it makes the people who watch it talk about it nonstop.

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

SHE WILL HAVE TO TAKE MY CLUTTER OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!!!!

:p:p:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D

DeAnne, lvetterli, *crs* and 18 others like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Oh, too funny someone is posting on this. I was just talking to a friend about it 30 minutes ago.

Never saw the show, just the promo on Netflix. What stuck was a snipet where Marie recommends you evaluate items based on whether they "spark joy".

I used the "spark joy" algorithm and was able to get rid of several clothing items out of my closet.

So I am a real life success story.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Well then every one of my perfume bottles, porcelain & glassware are safe. They all "spark joy" every time I look their way. :D:D:D:D:D

DeAnne, *crs*, AJefferson and 9 others like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't know if she's the reason for it, but when I went to my favorite clothing consignment shop on Friday (the 25th of each month is 25% off day) the racks were jammed full!

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It's a good thing our stuff "sparks joy," because as an investment it's been an utter failure.

The "sparks joy" factor, however, remains high.

10. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

FOR REAL!!!

11. Bakersgma

I saw a "summary of the Kondo method" on tv last week or so. Horrified at the way she folds clothes and then puts them all in dresser drawers. Might work for baby/kids clothes, but for me - No way Jose!

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't get who the audience is....or that this is any more than a created fad.

13. Bakersgma

Created by Netflix. ;)

pearlsnblume and kentworld like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

All I know about her is she was a crossword clue answer recently. And there will be a run on some departments in a few months when people figure out they "decluttered" things they didn't need right that second but will next month.

15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I wonder if Marie would faint if she saw the hoarder/storer thread on this site? Lots of magnificent piles of treasures waiting to be re-discovered.

Jivvy, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I read the book (found at library) over a year ago. And liked it for the attempt at getting the crap out of your life. It IS an extreme process, however. You start with clothing and put every single piece in a pile, then take in hand each item, think about if it sparks joy for you NOW, and either keep or give away. If you give away, you thank the item for being in your life. It's a spiritual process also that recognizes our emotions that we attach to physical objects. It actually helps to do this as you get a sense of real appreciation for what you want to keep.

You then do this with books, everything in your kitchen, garage, toys, everything else in the house. Everything. The point is to get rid of the clutter and to make things organized so your brain isn't overwhelmed every minute in the house, trying to find things. Or you are ignoring it all. You know exactly where stuff is and it's all neatly put away.

I watched all her Netflix episodes and she follows this philosophy as well as making exceptions for some people. She's not a tyrant! And YOU decide, not her, what gives you joy and what you keep. She never, ever says you have to get rid of anything you want to keep. She may help you to come to a decision about it, however. But you can keep every item if you want. She'll help you to store them better, again if you want. Everyone she has helped has nothing but praise for her method but that doesn't mean it's for everyone.

Too many strange and WRONG ideas about her technique are out there now. Don't listen to them, get the book and/or watch the series if you feel all of your stuff is too often overwhelming and you'd like help with de-cluttering. That's all it is.

wildrose, judy, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  17. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

This is a good example - all she'd do is help you to organize all the things better, not to toss!! Put up shelving, etc. She likes small boxes in drawers. So jewelry people would appreciate that, I think.

What's even better though is that she LOVES a good mess!! So there'd be no criticism, no fainting! :D - just help to get some kind of idea of all that you have and how to make it fit into your life better so that it isn't too much to deal with.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    judy, pearlsnblume and cxgirl like this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I just go through stuff every so often. For everyday things (clothes, dishes, cookware, magazines, books), if it's something I haven't used in say 3 years, out it goes. If it's in good shape it gets donated, if not it goes in the trash. No spiritualism needed, just practicality :)

19. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Many Japanese are very holistically oriented, I think it's the Shinto religion mostly, in seeing all objects as part of the spirit - everything around us, which is also true in quantum physics (if you want to go there). I think though it adds to her mystique and "power" as someone who can actually help you. In the netflix series, she takes a minute to 'thank' the house for the intrusion and its possible help before starting the process. Many owners do so as well, others stand and look uncomfortable. :)

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have an Armani tank top....it's not thread bare but has a couple of holes in it.
    It was bought for me by my Ex-fiancee...when the world was young.
    Kondo would have to pry it from Komo's cold dead hands !!! :rage:

I mean......who has an authentic Armani tank top ???? ;):):)

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted