Anyone want to take a stab at this?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Nina2, May 11, 2023.

1. Nina2

Nina2 New Member

I haven't found any identifying information on it yet. The shape is odd, could if have originally been a headboard or apart of some other type of furniture? art1.jpg art2.jpg

Roaring20s likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What are the dimensions? What is the frame material? Are those woven tapestry panels? Where did you acquire it and what were you told about it?

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 11, 2023
    johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A Rococo (not Medieval) pastoral scene. But the tapestry is much later, of course.

Debora

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

ON the back of the frame, where I've circled, it DOES say something......below
    this image I've TRIED to enhance that, BELOW MY FIRST image, but it's STILL not very clear.......maybe since you, @Nina2, have it in hand, can see it better than I can.......OR if you try a CLEAR Close-UP of where I circled, I can try again....

EDITart2.jpg

back of tapestry-gigapixel--3_00XXXx.jpg
    NOT sure of first word....Looks like Caps RD in the middle and a possible date on the right end (1824 or 1924????) and not sure if something comes after that........​

Potteryplease likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Can't read but... 1924 would be about right.

Debora

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't think this was part of something else. Think this is a comercial piece to hang in any horizontal space. This would include over a sofa, buffet, or even a bed. The 20s date seems about right. the tapestry is probably machine woven in Belgium. The piece is probably American, if that is where it was found.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Nina2

Nina2 New Member

Nice to meet you all and thanks for the replies. Unfortunately it's been raining all day so I haven't been able to get it in the house yet to inspect further, I'll try and get the dimensions and check that spot for a date tomorrow. To answer the questions asked:

What is the frame material/dimensions: I can say for sure tomorrow but I think it's painted wood.

Are those woven tapestry panels: Yes the fabric wraps around to the back underneath those cardboard panels. There are paper remnants around the back of the frame so it seems like it would have had paper covering the entire back like paintings generally have.

Where did you acquire it and what were you told about it: I bid on an auction of artwork groupings (in Midwestern US), mostly oil paintings both vintage and contemporary. This one was included in a lot. I think the original owner had passed away and the house was being cleared to be sold. I asked the auction host about it when I went for pick up but they didn't know. The lot which included framed canvas types was just titled "unique vintage artwork".

kyratango likes this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nice to have you here, WELCOME ON BOARD!:)

BoudiccaJones and Potteryplease like this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have almost the same, framed tapestry that I picked up a few years ago. Haven't decided where to hang it, yet!

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted