Featured Anyone willing to look up a sold price for me?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Joan, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I listed on eBay 10 sheets of 1930's-40's screen-printed Christmas wrapping paper and right away got a message from someone asking if I would add a BIN offer of $100, which I did and it sold. I'm getting ready to list another group of 10 similar sheets, but an wondering if they're worth significantly more than $100 (I couldn't find anything similar on eBay), but found a lot than sold on Worthpoint: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/large-lot-vintage-art-deco-30s-early-1691311087 and am wondering if anyone who has an account could look up the sold price for me. I feel guilty asking, but I've seen others do it, so thought I'd give it a try. Here's a photo of the paper I'm planning to sell.
    ChristmasPaper.jpg

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I'll ask @Kronos for you - please & thank you Kronos!

KSW, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!

KSW, judy, Rec and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

$51 back in 2014.

Lucille.b, KSW, pearlsnblume and 8 others like this.
  5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you soooooo much, Kronos. Now I can sleep well tonight knowing I got a decent price on my paper. I've turned down unsolicited offers before and then kicked myself when the auction ended at a much lower price...at least this time I got the offer before anyone bid.

KSW, bercrystal, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

You're a peach of a guy Kronos!

Lucille.b, KSW, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

eblech can thrill u , or beat u up..........all depends who's looking for what on the day yer listing is posted..

8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That's very nice paper! :)

Lucille.b, KSW, bercrystal and 3 others like this.
  9. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Wow, I like that paper! Never would have guessed it would sell for a high amount, though.

Lucille.b, KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. LovesVintage

LovesVintage reader of books and tea leaves

12. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Sold for $51.00 in November of 2014.

Lucille.b, KSW, Joan and 2 others like this.
  13. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Beat me to it Kronos.
    :joyful:

Lucille.b, Joan and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

This is such a tricky decision to make!!! I was seconds away from accepting an offer once on a really nice pen for $300, I think it was. It was more than I thought I would probably get in the auction. Only the fact that I was driving at the moment slowed me from accepting it when it came in. As I was clicking to the page a bid came in so I couldn’t take the offer any longer. I was really bummed at first. It ended up going to almost $500 and I was very pleasantly surprised. Unless it’s really strong I often prefer to see what the auction will do though.

Joan, KSW, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I agree, it is a tricky decision to make. With this second group of paper, I'm thinking I may start the auction at $95-$100, or list the sheets separately or in pairs. However, the other group had sheets with more art deco-ish background patterns; one sheet had Santa's, one snowmen, and one with wire fox terriers (like Asta in the 30's 40's Thin Man movies). This group has one sheet with Scottie dogs, but the other figural designs are more Victorian-like with carolers and horse/carriage/sleigh images. The rest of the sheets have the typical bells, candles, holly leaves, ponsettias, and stripes. There are a couple sheets with some damage, whereas the other group didn't include any damaged sheets.

When I made the decision to add the $100 BIN, there were several views, but no watchers, and by the time I revised the listing and the buyer bought (an hour later), there were 12 views and still no watchers.

I'm also wondering whether I should contact the buyer and let her know that I have more paper that I will be listing and if she asks for photos, see what her reaction is before deciding what to do. But then, if she's interested and makes a decent offer, it would be kind of sleazy of me to decline it and then do an auction starting at the amount she offered.....I'm probably over thinking this.

J Dagger likes this.
  16. J Dagger

It’s money, you’ve gotta think it out! I would definitely let her know. Maybe even ask what styles she was into most because you may have more for her. Maybe she wasn’t even buying for the Deco or dogs. Definitely important to take views and watchers into consideration. Also your knowledge. Like in pens I had no idea what I was doing. Some areas I know more about prices and can automatically determine if an offer is good or not.

Lucille.b and Joan like this.
  17. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I appreciate your advice, J Dagger, and congratulations on the amazing amount your pen sold for! I hadn't thought about trying to find out what styles the buyer of my paper is most interested in, and mentioning that I "may" have more, before telling her exactly what I have...shows my limited negotiating/selling skills. The paper was delivered today, so I'll wait a few days to see if the buyer leaves feedback before I contact her.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    J Dagger, Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
  18. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Good luck with it, Joan. That is amazing paper. Very rare to find it in the first place, what a bonus that it appears in such amazing condition. I wonder what the buyers do with it? Could be they are making a color copies, etc...?? Or maybe just wrapping the most vintage gift ever!

$100 to me sounds very fair to both parties. I can imagine the value on something like this might have increased slightly since 2014. Just so rare, you have to find a home where they carefully kept this unused holiday paper for 90 years. Very fun to see!

J Dagger, Figtree3 and Joan like this.
  19. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Lucille. If I have a chance to communicate with the buyer I may be able to find out what she does with the paper. Based on things I've seen online, people make little Christmas cornucopia candy containers/ornaments covered with vintage wrapping paper, or they cover little gift/trinket boxes, or maybe they decorate handmade Christmas cards? It would also be great for someone who decorates a Christmas tree with vintage ornaments in a historic home and wants fake gifts underneath wrapped in vintage paper from the same era. Someone having a vintage Christmas-themed wedding could maybe find ways to use it with table decorations, etc. Your idea of copying it also makes me think of artists who do silk screening. Maybe the buyer wants to make her own silk screens so she can duplicate some of the designs. It seems the possibilities are endless.

Lucille.b, Aquitaine and J Dagger like this.
  20. J Dagger

Thanks. Hopefully they love it! I’ve purchased large lots of similar items lately. When listing I’ve begun to put something like this “please check my other listings for similar items in the coming weeks”. Not sure if it works but even if one person does and buys it’s worth it.

Lucille.b and Joan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted