Apple Bottle Opener

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Alex_Meiser, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Alex_Meiser

Alex_Meiser New Member

I am working on a book for my partner and I am trying to attribute who and when this apple bottle opener was made. It has a magnet on the back so it can stick to the fridge. Any information would be a huge help. It doesn't have any brand markings on it.

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 10.07.09 AM.png

judy likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Alex!

i need help likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a hardware store item from the 70's...

i need help and aaroncab like this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Or 80s...or 90s even. Unless marked I doubt you'll ever ID a manufacturer.

i need help and komokwa like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Alex! :)

6. komokwa

upload_2018-7-19_14-46-41.jpeg I haven't seen these produced for a long time.....
    BUT.....the one's above are newer trade show give a ways.......so u may be on to something....in truth I don't remember the magnet being used in the 70's...

upload_2018-7-19_14-53-47.jpeg It reminds me of a vintage applebee's logo....

But also that I used this type of opener when we bought apple juice....in large cans !!
    [​IMG]

i need help likes this.
  7. Alex_Meiser

Alex_Meiser New Member

Yeah I'm sure it was an inexpensive item. My guess is that it is older than the 90's because the apple details are raised molded plastic and then painted. Once you get into the 90's direct to surface printing became more common.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I always heard this double-duty opener (bottle cap remover and triangular can punch) called a "church key."

Alex_Meiser likes this.
  9. komokwa

still called that !:)

10. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

We had one of those with oranges on it! I know they were around in the late 70s. Anybody else remember Hawaiian Punch in a can?

Alex_Meiser likes this.
  11. Alex_Meiser

Alex_Meiser New Member

The term Church Key was helpful and late 70's makes sense. Are there any resources for looking up this type of object?

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

This is the type of inexpensive item made in huge numbers by various suppliers for further sale to second parties that offered them to third parties with the third party’s advertising on them. Third party would give them away. Like matchbooks and many other novelty items. Maybe a chapter in the book could explain how that all works and show a group picture of a few dozen similar novelty-advertising items. 1. Acme Metal Products Inc. 2. Hippledink Advertising Novelties 3. Paula’s Plumbing Service (gives away tiny metal toilet bottle openers where the edge of the toilet seat will remove the bottle caps.)

aaroncab likes this.