Featured Aquarel of a beautifull young lady

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jeanny, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Jeanny

Jeanny Member

IMG_0782.jpg

Dear All.
    This morning I found a watercolor (I think so) of this beautiful young lady with a picking basket, in the thrift store.
    The signature is J. David, but I will not get any further.
    This lady was framed by Gabriel van Thienen in Brussels, sometime between 1917 and 1964
    Who recognizes this artist and can tell me more about his works.
    Greetings Jeanny

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

She's lovely. Have you removed it from the frame yet? The colorful part nearby where it is signed looks like it could be a print. I can't see enough of it.

Is that a canvas and stretcher on the back? Or a board (or cardboard) insert in the location of the name of the frame shop label?

It would be best to take it out of the frame for examination and to be sure there are no acid parts touching the paper of the watercolor.

3. Jeanny

Jeanny Member

Here are some other images of the signature that make me doubt the name David. It could also be something else.
    IMG_0788.jpg IMG_0790.jpg

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Jeanny

Jeanny Member

Okay @antidiem I'm gonna try to take it out.

antidiem likes this.
  5. Jeanny

Jeanny Member

I'll send some new photos before I continue.
    The glass plate is attached to the Aquarelle all around.

Is that the name Louis in it?

I think it is very exciting. IMG_0791.jpg IMG_0793.jpg IMG_0794.jpg IMG_0795.jpg IMG_0796.jpg IMG_0797.jpg

6. Jeanny

Jeanny Member

IMG_0804.jpg IMG_0803.jpg
    She's out, and I think she's real, but I'm no connoisseur of watercolors at all.
    In any case, it is certainly not a photo print, I can still judge it that far.
    I have to clean her window because the colors are extremely beautiful

lovewrens and antidiem like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is it possibly a copy of something by Jacques-Louis David. Not so out of keeping with some of his work:

[​IMG]

And maybe not the most perfect copy. J. David seems the best reading of the signature to me. I have learned not to be misled by flourishes at the end.

stracci, Jeanny and bluumz like this.
  8. Bronwen

Maybe I should clarify that I'm thinking of an amateur/student copy, not an attempt at forgery. Copyists do sometimes put the name of the original artist instead of their own.

[​IMG]

Jeanny likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Doesn't really look like the work of David to me but... If you haven't done a Google Images search yet, I suggest you do one.

Debora

Jeanny and Bronwen like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, Jeanny. I can't really see a connection with Jacques-Louis David, but there were many David's, also in Belgium.
    I read Lieve S. Could be a former owner. Lieve is a very popular Flemish first name, short for Godelieve. (Loved by God)

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

13. Bronwen

I see the possibility of Levi's. Maybe customer for whom it was being framed. Could have been a shop.

Any Jewelry and Jeanny like this.
  14. Jeanny

Jeanny Member

IMG_0805.jpg
    She is back in and she's still gorgeous.
    I also noticed that the passe partout is also painted with watercolor.

Of course I also googled, but because I couldn't find anything equivalent, that's why.
    It's a fun challenge to get something you like and if it happened to be something special, it would be great.

On to the next item. Thank you all.:)

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She's exceedingly sweet. And unusual frame (which suits her.)

Debora

antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  16. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

You have yourself a very beautiful watercolour in fine condition. The mat is known as a "washline mount" usually a sign of a professional and more expensive framing.

Any Jewelry, antidiem and Jeanny like this.
  17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks, @Jeanny , she's definitely a beautiful watercolor gal! Your closer up shots helped me to see the texture of the paper. Thank you so much for showing me!

ONLY other "read" I could get on the artist's name - J. Davis Jr. - as there appears to be a letter above the end of the signature? It's just a guess.

18. Jeanny

Jeanny Member

They have made a beautiful frame for this lady, it have cost a lot of work;)
    @Houseful Today I sent a Message to "van Thienen", and they confirm my incoming mail. They wil answer in a few days. Lets hope for a positive reaction:)
    I wil post as soon as possible;)

antidiem and Houseful like this.
  19. Jeanny

Jeanny Member

Hello everyone @Houseful
    Today I received a message from "van Thienen" wich says:

Chère madame,
    Malheureusement, nous ne conservons aucune archive par mesure de discrétion.
    Belles recherches à vous,
    Vincent Vercheval

wich means:

Dear Madam,
    Unfortunately, we do not keep any archives as a measure of discretion.
    Good research to you,
    Vincent Vercheval

So I have to search any further :)
    Jeanny

antidiem likes this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think it was new when framed. Even though she's wearing period clothing, early 20th I'd think.

Debora

Jeanny likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted