Arabic manuscript id

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ruth, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Ruth

Ruth Member

Hi,
    Does anyone here read Arabic? I would greatly appreciate if anyone can tell me anything about the manuscript I acquired. I assume it is the Quran. Am I right?
    Attached are several examples.
    Ruth arabic 1.jpg arabic 2.jpg arabic 3 (1).jpg

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You may not know that we have a volunteer translator thread up in the Support & Testing section. I went there and did a search and the following members said they could either translate Arabic or they know somebody to ask.

@avant
    @daveydempsey
    @Ownedbybear

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If I were a thinking man....I would think that any Muslim in his right mind would never deface the Koran with all those hand written notations...........

judy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This Christian has notes all over her Bible. Goes with the turf. I guess Muslims take their notes in a notebook instead of marking up the margins.

Jivvy likes this.
  5. Ruth

Ruth Member

Thanks, I'll try the translator thread.
    As for defacing the Quran, Jewish religious manuscripts and books, including bibles, are full of glosses and notes and often are worth more with the notes than without, so I thought that may apply here as well. But I don't know enough of the laws of Islam to really know.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well then i hope your papers are worth a lot of money...

7. Ruth

Ruth Member

I don't think so :) I just want to know if it's the Quran...

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

While I don't read Arabic, I did take a class on Arabic calligraphy once. Each surah, or chapter, in the Quran starts with a phrase known as the bismillah - "in the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful". If this manuscript is a Quran, I would expect the sentence in large script to be the beginning of a surah, meaning it should be the bismillah - but it is not.
    [​IMG]
    I suspect the manuscript may be something other than a Quran.

Jivvy and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Don't know what this book is, but not everyone whose native language is Arabic is also Muslim.

In my religious instruction experience (Christian), religious scholars are some of the most enthusiastic for writing in what believers call "holy" books. :joyful:

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Just a question, might it be Farsi instead of Arabic? They apparently use the same alphabet and look somewhat alike. I don't know enough about either to know.

Jivvy likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

We don't know if it is a Quran, but notes and commentaries are quite normal in Arabic manuscripts, even Islamic ones.

Since the Arabic speakers Fig tagged haven't been in lately, maybe we can tag other regulars: @ABDELBARI and @abdel , could you help please?

Draft saved Draft deleted