Featured ARC: The Amityville Horror

Discussion in 'Books' started by bluumz, Apr 24, 2020.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Any idea whether an advance reader copy would be worthwhile listing? Apparently some first editions of this book can sell for about $50 US.
    Are buyers/collectors in general much interested in ARCs?
    Thanks!

921866EE-8EE4-4ED2-8A57-2194073D2BA3.jpeg DCF0A7A1-D468-4AEB-9300-52C2DFF092BC.jpeg 18E0105C-6868-44D2-86EC-286FCD4D50FE.jpeg 7705E8A1-AE30-4ACD-B344-11729C9FB089.jpeg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Reader's copy or reviewer's copy? I don't really know book sellers' jargon, but thought a reader's copy of something meant it was in good enough condition that if your interest was just in reading it, the book would serve your needs but not in good enough condition or not an interesting enough edition to be a collector's copy. Lots of reviewer's copies turn up in secondhand bookstores.

bluumz and sabre123 like this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I usually go to abebooks.com and check the what price they are asking. Typically more $$ then eBay.

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'm not up on the book jargon, either, LOL. Didn't know the difference!
    This one seems like it was for bookstore owners...

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  7. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

bluumz likes this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I will pass this on to @2manycats for his insights.

bluumz and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

:D:D:D:D

bluumz likes this.
  12. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

So an ARC, Advance Reading Copy or Advance Review Copy, as the BTYW article says, predates the publication of the book, and is thus earlier than the first edition, which is the version released to the public. They are publicity tools, intended to be read by reviewers and booksellers, to gin up interest in the new book. They are often conflated with uncorrected proofs, which traditionally would be an in-house document read only by the book's author & editor, to make sure the text is correct. These would be scarcer still, and one with the author's notes would be unique and QUITE valuable. These days, however, a proof may also serve as a review copy, depending on how lazy or excited the publisher is, so may not be a big deal at all. In my experience, though the number available is less than the number of proper first editions, the demand is MUCH less, so the value is typically less that that of the proper first edition. Usually. They are often drab, in plain covers, unless the publisher knew they were on to something good - the first Harry Potter book, which featured its new American cover art, was given away as ARCs at the ABA conference in the States before it was published here, and I'm told stacks were just thrown away. Now it's a $1000 to $1500 item, but still less valuable than the first American hardcover printing.

To clarify bookseller's condition parlance - an ARC is sometimes called a reader's copy. A "reading copy", however, is as Bronwyn says - an intact text, adequate to read, but not 'collectible', unless you're desperate to fill that gap in your shelves. It might also be described as a "working copy", particularly if it could be used as a reference - the facts you need are there, but it may not satisfy the collector's craving for a nice example, like a pot sherd with handle attached might give you some insight into how the potter worked, but would not make a good display item.

You'll sometimes see ARCs being given away, or maybe 'free with purchase', at new book shops - they get a LOT if they are well-placed in their community, and only a few are important. They do not show up so often in second-hand shops, except when an author or reviewer has recently sold their collection.

quirkygirl, KikoBlueEyes and bluumz like this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

@2manycats, thanks for that great info, I guess it'll just stay on my own bookshelf as a bit of an oddity. :)

14. KikoBlueEyes

Wonderful and detailed reply. I learned so much from this. Thank you!

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted