Featured Are these amber beads?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bookahtoo, Sep 5, 2023.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

This item was in with my late mother's jewelry. I have no memory of it and don't know what it once was.
    I took some of the beads off and did the salt water float test. They did float, but I understand that some plastics float too.
    These are light weight. I thought they were plastic but I figured I better ask.
    Thanks.

smallerIMG_3784.jpg

smalleramber3.jpg

smallerambeer2.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Have you a uv light?

kyratango, johnnycb09, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look like amber to me. A UV test, as obb suggested, is the next step, and I'm sure it'll be positive.
    Another one is to rub a bead vigorously, and smell it. If it smells of pine, it's amber.

4. Bookahtoo

I don't have a uv light, Owned. It's time to get one I guess.

Thanks Aj.

What do you suppose they were part of? It's stamped metal and wire metal.

kyratango, johnnycb09, IvaPan and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

It looks like a Soviet period pendant, maybe worn on a belt or sash. They didn't have much access to silver, so they often used 'melchior', a copper-nickel alloy.

Sellers from the Baltic States often sell intricately made metal wire and amber jewellery, and this reminds me of that. The wire is usually melchior or copper.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Black light flashlights are available for around $12 on Amazon.

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I got a small one on eboo for $6 :)

8. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Ditto. Looks like Soviet, I have some similar stuff. If it were silver, it would have been definitely marked.
    Although it is a good idea to check for marks as Soviet factories often marked also pot metal, I have such pieces, too. If there is a mark, it can be better identified.
    I bought an UV flashlight from a local shop here, but I guess for USA/UK based it is easier to use Ebay or Amazon.

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hoping Book would want to know this too, let's say that the black light shows these are amber. Any guess much value (very approximately) these would be worth in the resale market? $100? Less?

I've never really gotten on the "amber bandwagon" and this answer would help me in future resale decisions.

IvaPan, wlwhittier and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Less.

IvaPan, johnnycb09 and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Bookahtoo

12. Any Jewelry

Just to clarify, the value of amber depends on many factors. Colour and shape are some.
    In general, amber that looks like it just washed up on the shore, though beautiful, only goes above $60 when it is a large chunk.
    Yours has that washed up look, and I like it, but it isn't very valuable. The colour is desirable though, and it has a nice amount of dangles, but still under $100 imo.

I've been searching for amber jewellery like yours. I can't find exactly the same, but to me yours looks influenced by Latvian fok jewellery, and these are Latvian, with a similar combination of 'rough' and pressed amber, so you get an idea:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/138014...4362-b4e9-62db1748ff6e&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/137457...4fb4-ad72-e7c9b883684a&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/152258...4700-92e9-d19674d2c050&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/135266...4d95-b9dc-16d5292224b5&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/153412...4d95-b9dc-16d5292224b5&organic_search_click=1

Roshan Ko, kyratango, IvaPan and 6 others like this.
  13. Bookahtoo

Thanks AJ - that's good to know.

kyratango, IvaPan, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Helpful for me as well. Thanks, AJ.

kyratango, IvaPan, Dessert58 and 3 others like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Chiming in late, but almost certainly amber. In its current state it's either a repair job or a mess-with-me.

kyratango, IvaPan and wlwhittier like this.
  16. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

If y'all can afford to splash on a good UV light, do so...you won't regret purchasing quality, an' the difference might be as little as a decent bottle of wine...well worthwhile as an investment in antique sleuthing!

17. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

I bought the cheapo 6€ UV lamp. It works when it wants to work: usually I try to get it on for 10 minutes, I fail at it, I get really nervous, hubby comes in and takes the UV lamp, fiddles with it for 2 minutes...hallelujah it works!
    Aka: please do buy the better quality UV lamp if you can! Your mental health will benefit from it.

18. Any Jewelry

:singing:Mental health problems? Buy a quality UV light!:singing:
    :playful::kiss:

IvaPan, wlwhittier and Dessert58 like this.
  19. Bookahtoo

Ok - I ordered one. It will be here tomorrow. Then I'll be using it on EVERYTHING!!!

komokwa, KikoBlueEyes, IvaPan and 3 others like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Yay!!!:woot::woot:

IvaPan and wlwhittier like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted