Are these Buddha heads Thai?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by sassafras, Sep 14, 2018.

1. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, they are.:)

3. sassafras

Thank you, AJ. :happy:

4. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi sassafras,
    They could generally be grouped as being from Thailand like AJ suggests, but can I just flag a couple of differences.
    Working left to right; numbers 1,3,4, and 7 look more Khmer to me, which could mean Thailand but also Cambodia. You will notice 2, 5 and 6 have the typical Thai Buddha crown which is pointed and sharp. The others have more rounded and bun-like crowns or top-knots (which suggests Khmer or Myanmar influence) and the facial features are a little more angular. The presence of the "third eye" or bindi in 3, 4 and 7 is not usually found on Thai Buddha heads.
    Having said this, they could easily have all been made in Thailand where high-quality bronze factories still produce these using a variety of traditional techniques.
    I think it is a nice collection, but probably recent.
    Where did you find them? :)

5. sassafras

Thank you, Au!

They are at a house I'm setting up for an estate sale. The father was in military intelligence and was stationed around the world. From the information I've been able to gather, the family did spend a significant amount of time in Thailand in the late 60s-early 70s.

Any Jewelry, judy and i need help like this.
  6. AuDragon

Excellent background sassafras, thanks. At 50 years old, I'd grab them if they came up near me, but I think the drive from Sydney would be a bit far.;)

7. sassafras

I can deliver them. Always wanted to go to Australia. ;)

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. AuDragon

What a great reason to organise a trip! ;) I'd also be happy to collect. Where are you located?

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. sassafras

We're in the southeastern US. Augusta, Georgia to be exact. Home of the Master's Golf Tournament and James Brown. You can golf and get funky at the same time!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Have u tried booking a time at Augusta lately...??
    Isn't there a two year waiting period.....& a $700 green fee ??

Now , that's Funky..! :)

I have a cotton shell with the Masters logo on it......which is as close as I'll ever get to that bucket list wish !! :(

kyratango likes this.
  11. sassafras

It's impossible to play at Augusta National...members only. Tournament tickets with face values of $75 will go for thousands per day. Locals can usually come up with tickets if you know the right people. ;) Even that is becoming more difficult though. *sigh*

If there's something in particular that you're looking for, let me know! I come across great Master's things all the time.

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  12. AuDragon

Unfortunately, I didn't get to Georgia in the year I live in America but I have a very good friend in Savannah who I hope to visit next year. I still have my 1974 Rand McNally Road Atlas I bought for $1 and it shows I visited only 27 of the 52 States. :( And I have just finished re-reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. :)

Any Jewelry, komokwa and Jivvy like this.