Featured Are These From Fairy Tales

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by acvintage, Aug 7, 2021.

1. acvintage

acvintage Member

I feel like these may depict fairy tale scenes. Haven't found any similar images though. One looks like students following the school master, another someone with a whip to spank a child (yikes), a Victorian couple, a mother walking with child, etc. Any thoughts?
    forums_80721_001.JPG
    forums_80721_006.JPG
    forums_80721_005.JPG
    forums_80721_007.JPG
    forums_80721_003.JPG

dude, judy, LauraGarnet02 and 3 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i see slice of life images.....no fairy tales..

dude, judy, bluumz and 1 other person like this.
  3. reader

reader Well-Known Member

They’re charming!

judy likes this.
  4. acvintage

acvintage Member

This was a fun bit of research for me so thought I would provide an update.

Therese de Dillmont offered a "window into the past" with her cross stitch designs. Many of her designs centered around the human form and the relationship between youth and old age - School teachers with students, father with daughter, mother with son, sisters holding hands.

wikipedia:
    "Thérèse de Dillmont (10 October 1846 – 22 May 1890) was an Austrian needleworker and writer. Dillmont's Encyclopedia of Needlework (1886) has been translated into 17 languages.[1] She owned a string of shops in European capitals and she was "one of the most important pioneers in the international and multicultural enterprise of hobby needlework in the late nineteenth century.

Dillmont's name was an asset to the DMC company and they continued to publish books under her name after her death..."

Figtree3, dude and judy like this.
  5. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Figtree3, dude and judy like this.
  6. acvintage

acvintage Member

Yes, thank you @PepperAnna. I found that site when I was researching. Very helpful.

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thank you for the update. Very interesting!

Draft saved Draft deleted