Featured Are these worth getting repaired/restored?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by AUhills, Aug 18, 2019.

?

Have Repaired to Original Condition? or Scrap And Sell For Melt Value?

1. Repair

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Scrap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AUhills

AUhills Member

Hello all, first real post here I'm hoping for some advise. So I found this pair of candelabra and bought them thinking of getting them repaired to original condition but I'm wondering if I will pay more getting them restored then they are worth? No parts are missing but a few pieces are bent and broken off (a couple pieces I have held on with collectors putty in the pictures). It's a unique set and I'm hoping to save them from being melted down.

Hallmark from the city of Porto Portugal 1870-1877. Each measure 10 1/4 inches tall with a 9 inch spread, very heavy for their size weighing a total of 7lbs 14oz. Marked 800, appears to be coin silver.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pearlsnblume, BMRT, Iouri and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome AUhills. Nice find.
    Coin silver is .900, this is .800. I can't read the marks, they could benefit from a clean.;)

3. AUhills

AUhills Member

Hi, thanks for the quick reply and knowledge. The marks really are hard to read, you'll notice on one the top is dinged, and on the other the bottom is rubbed off. But inbetween the two you get the full image and it appears to be a "P" inside a shield that is crowned identical to Porto's 1870-77 mark but anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Any Jewelry

I don't really see a similarity with Oporto's 1870-77 crowned P or the shape of the cartouche for the period, but that could be because they are very tarnished.
    On the photo it looks as if there is an upturned extension on the left of the letter, but again, detail is difficult to make out with all that tarnish, so I could be wrong.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. AUhills

AUhills Member

Here are some better close-ups of the marks flipped right side up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Illustrated beneath is the Porto Hallmark I'm thinking they match up with, I only have these illustrations to go off of though and not other real examples which would be better.
    [​IMG]

I appreciate any input!

6. Any Jewelry

Ah, that's it, I thought you posted them right side up the first time, and the P was on the left and a possible maker's mark on the right.
    I just couldn't figure it out.:banghead::hilarious:

Please post marks the right side up next time, expecially when they are this dirty. It will save people a lot of time, which could be spent on helping other members.

AUhills, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  7. AUhills

AUhills Member

Yea that's my bad, sorry for the confusion. I appreciate your time, thanks!

8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I would also wait for opinions on "scrap or not" before I polished those. :joyful:

(outside my knowledge base, so I am not the one to give such an opinion.)

Figtree3, AUhills and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted