Are you a toilet expert? Can you help me ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wolfman044, Feb 2, 2022.

1. wolfman044

wolfman044 New Member

Hello, I bought a very old house and recently replaced the toilet to help the water bill. I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out what kind of toilet I have and how much it would be worth .(Think antique road show). I really look forward to any and all help!! Also let me know if yall need better or different pictures. THANKS! toilet 1 e.jpg toilet 2e.jpg toilet 3e.jpg toilet 4e.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The design is Art Deco so likely 1930s/1940s.

Debora

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Try under the lid, under the tank, the top of the back of the tank- there should be a mark somewhere. Folks here don’t generally do appraisals, but might be able to give you enough information so you can find it yourself.

The relative value of the house when the toilet was installed might give you a clue as to the status of the maker, but the fact that it doesn’t appear to have any large visible cracks is a good sign.

*crs* likes this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Good idea to look for a manufacturers mark or stamp. Apparently a big thing lately, people refitting their houses with vintage toilets to match the era of the home. More common with MCM bathrooms, and all the colored toilets of the 50s/60s. There was an entertaining New York Times article about this a half year ago. Not sure if everyone can open it, but here's a link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/05/realestate/retro-home-decor-bathroom-kitchen.html

I think yours is a bit older as suggested, and I'm seeing a few on Ebay, but none sold. This one below claims to be completely restored. Would be better to find one that sold to get a true estimate of value. Also kind of a difficult item to ship, so have to take that into account.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174710979477?hash=item28ad95fb95:g:Y-IAAOSwWBJf6OLe

Fid, Born2it and komokwa like this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I looked on Facebook Marketplace, and while I didn't find the OP's, I did find one for @BoudiccaJones :

236245621_4391749437549422_546503163156269461_n.png

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm going to keep coming back to this thread to see just exactly how many Toilet Experts we actually have here !!!!

:eek:......:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:......:wideyed::wideyed:

pearlsnblume, KSW, Born2it and 4 others like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm only expert in using one! (LOL)

8. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I've re-done a lot of bathrooms over the years with vintage toilets, and I can tell you they aren't cheap and they aren't water efficient either. Look at those huge tanks!
    You can look over the prices asked at any architectural salvage company near you.

pearlsnblume, KSW, Born2it and 3 others like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I want a miniature Doulton Lambeth loo.

KSW, judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What's the seat and lid made of? I would expect wood on an older model. I don't think heavy plastic or acrylic came in much before the '60s.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  11. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert on toilets but I have that exact same toilet with a matching porcelain sink in my Mid Town rental. The house was built in 38 or 39. When we remodeled we kept them. My handyman took the whole thing apart and rebuilt it. It still works today.
    Mikey

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  12. komokwa

I'm still mastering the complexities of side saddle !!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::rolleyes:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. Darkwing Manor

Seats wear out, lose their finish or break pretty quickly. I have rarely seen an original seat on a vintage toilet.

pearlsnblume and Born2it like this.
  14. komokwa

plus the newer ones allow for a better fit, to older bums.......:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

it's true !;)

15. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Hehe!! I do in fact have a few o'those...and the orange variety :D x

16. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Your water closet is worth exactly ZERO dollars, matter of fact it'll cost you dollars to have it hauled away usually.
    No matter if new construction or remodel work virtually no one (aside from an oddball or two) installs "antique" plumbing fixtures. After paying THOUSANDS of dollars to install plumbing in walls & under the floor old plumbing fixtures just do not cut it, not even a little bit.
    For starters, you can't see the pipes for the most part, they are hidden in the walls & under the floor so the notion that after paying thousands for something no one can see, you are attaching old junk plumbing fixtures to those new pipes is pretty far out there.
    Women in particular have very little humor when it comes to their bathrooms.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    judy likes this.
  17. Darkwing Manor

I strongly disagree. Those of us still restoring Victorian and Edwardian bathrooms want them. As I said, visit the nearest architectural salvage business for prices.

pearlsnblume, judy, Fid and 3 others like this.
  18. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

The problem with that is, modern plumbing wasn't born until the 1930s in the USA. So if you are looking for a Victorian water closet it's out in the back of the house, called a hole in the ground.

judy likes this.
  19. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Vintage toilets definitely have a market, at least in my area... people like the massive flush capability. Modern toilets are generally "water-saving" and many find this a major drawback.

pearlsnblume, judy, Fid and 2 others like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Art Deco porcelain fixtures like this have a huge market here. That cistern is a good shape.

As to Victorian, this is what we were doing here: Doulton.

[​IMG]

This one is about $500.

[​IMG]

pearlsnblume, judy, bluumz and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted