Arrow head?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Estaterestate, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Estaterestate

Estaterestate Well-Known Member

F6BD1A0B-C7F1-440C-8687-097803FC1D8B.jpeg 51E3486C-739E-4194-8FEC-9D318EAB9674.jpeg How long this in box of jewelry But looks too specifically shaved to be jewelry looks more like some sort of arrowhead or Flint. Any ideas? This is my first time posting in this form so any help would appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2021
    LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Chert?

wiscbirddog likes this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

What is the size of this? Don’t known about the possible age of this. But if you are thinking arrowhead or spearhead then I would think more cutting or skinning tool.. Hopefully someone will know the rock type..

LauraGarnet02 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Size would be important to determine use, does it fit comfortably into the hand for instance?

LauraGarnet02 and Boland like this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agreed

Houseful likes this.
  6. Estaterestate

DE2C7093-CB65-4AB7-85CA-71B4C426F6C4.jpeg Added penny for comparison

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2021
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Since forum members are from around the world, they may not know what size a penny is. For this reason, it would be helpful to put the measurements in inches/centimeters.

8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Is it translucent? Perhaps obsidian?

LauraGarnet02 and Boland like this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's a general-purpose Indian scraping tool. It's a little hard to tell, just from a photo, if it's obsidian or flint. Both were used for scrapers, depending primarily on which material was readily available. Both obsidian and flint were trade items, with pieces found a long way from their source.

Obsidian comes in several colors and forms, but it can be identified by its glass-like sharpness, so it was good for cutting and piercing. But it was easily breakable, like glass. Flint is harder, less likely to break when hit (when struck by steel, it produces a spark, and used for starting fires). For some purposes, it would be more useful as a scraper than obsidian, since obsidian would tend to cut, if the intent was only to scrape.

It's just about impossible to assign a specific purpose to a tool like this (although some people will), since it was probably used for whatever it worked for. And they may have had tasks to perform that we have no idea of today.

Figtree3, reader, wiscbirddog and 4 others like this.
  11. Estaterestate

12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting information. Thanks

13. Estaterestate

This is pic in centimeters C4BEC07C-44D0-46D4-82F3-0C1728958750.jpeg

14. wiscbirddog

Your first pics show grey/black, this new one shows tan/white - which is the correct color?

2manybooks and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  15. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I think the first 3 pictures are indoors under electric light, and the picture with the measuring tape is outdoors in natural light.
    I would bet the picture in natural light is the best true color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Estaterestate

Correct

17. wiscbirddog

Then I withdraw my guess of obsidian.

18. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I would lean more toward chert than flint, then. Both are microcrystalline quartz, but formed in slightly different sediments. Per the link I posted earlier:
    "The only difference between chert and flint is color: flint is black or nearly black and chert tends to be white, gray, or pink and can be either plain, banded, or preserve fossil traces."

19. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's a perfect example, though, of why identifying based solely on a photo can be so difficult! The first photo, taken on a light background, makes the scraper look grey, and likely to be obsidian. The photo with the tape measure, taken in different light, makes it look white/ivory, and definitely not obsidian. They look like entirely different objects!

LauraGarnet02, Boland, DrPam and 2 others like this.
  20. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

As a little Public Service Announcement, if anyone finds a piece of obsidian with an edge on it, try to resist the urge to run your finger along it…on archeological digs when we’d find ‘em undamaged they could still easily slice flesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted