Art Deco Ceramic Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

9E839F72-9622-4037-B672-71BBD4196427.jpeg BEFEFE23-B0EC-4856-8AE1-8A50AE52A673.jpeg 9B2C31D1-18EE-46D1-BB07-D73018EA6806.jpeg Trying to find the maker.
    Thanks

2. kardinalisimo

At least, any opinions on the origin, American, European, other?
    Could it be a commercial mold?

judy likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I would think a commercial mold. A mix of styles - art deco handles but a ship in the center almost cameo style? Execution just a little sloppy (i.e, paint on top rim). If forced at gunpoint I'd say Japanese due to the misunderstanding of styles. All, of course, just my thoughts but it might get a conversation started.
    Don

4. kardinalisimo

Thanks for your comment.
    I also thoughtnof Japan but would expect to see a mark. But there may have been a paper label.
    True, few paint spills but not that bad.

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The lack of a mark confused me as well. I suppose it could date back to the Nippon era and been a transitional piece. The bubble bursts on the bottom would also indicate to me that's it's an older piece. You wouldn't normally see a paper label on that type of bottom but it's not unheard of. I considered some of the German and Bohemian art deco manufacturers but the hollow handles on the side and the relatively thin walls would be atypical not only for them but also for most US companies. Agreed the work is not that sloppy but the rest of it is so neatly done that the few messy lines stand out. I've got to emphasize that this is just my own (and not always reliable) thought process. I could be way off.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted