Featured art glass candy dish or dresser jar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, Dec 14, 2019.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is an item that recently came to our store and am wondering if it can be attributed. This is the only pic available. Both the lid and base have a ground and polished rim. The bottom is completely flat. The purple color has a slight iridescence to it and the color is applied. There are some areas where there is some wear to the color and you can see clear glass.

[​IMG]

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Brad, no idea, never seen anything quite like it before! :p

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Nor I. Wonder if this would be considered 'flashed' glass.

Mugzinnys, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! .. REALLY LOVE IT !!! ... Joy.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice Brad....I'd put cotton balls in it and place it on M'Ladys dresser !!

6. Bronwen

Brad, of all people, didn't give dimensions. I'd use it for bonbons or comfits.

7. Christmasjoy

I'd put Quality Street Chocolates in it and add another handful from the tin as needed ... :):):) ... Joy.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya, but it's not furniture....so he gets a hard pass !!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but it looks stained. Flashed glass is glass that is blown and has 2 layers of color, stained is when color is sprayed on and then put back in the oven to fix the color. Stained can be blown or pressed.

verybrad, what does the bottom look like?

10. Bronwen

Thanks. I think I have seen things described incorrectly as ruby flashed glass when that is not the correct terminology.

11. Bronwen

I need to know how many bonbons will fit! I have a seriously silly piece of presumably Murano glass I bought only because it has a cameo on it & seller brought price down to something reasonable. It's more of a lidded compote, on a fairly tall pedestal, but would be great with wrapped hard candy in it.

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think it may just be flashed because Brad mentioned it's wearing off.

I may not have experience with "stained" glass wearing off. What is the paint on goofus glass? It's not that!

I'd like it if it weren't for the green and pink flower at the top, because otherwise it somewhat resembles an old oil lantern in shape. (Use imagination!) It's massive.

13. Christmasjoy

The whole tin of Quality Street might fit in. By the way .. the tins of Quality Street now are a lot smaller than the ones I remember in England when I was growing up :( .... Joy.

Ghopper1924, sabre123 and komokwa like this.
  14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I thought that as well ! My knee jerk was a marriage of some sort,the flower looks Italian to me.

Christmasjoy, sabre123 and antidiem like this.
  15. Markus

Markus New Member

Kuinka voin avata oman uhan, minulla on suuri ongelma Wedgwood-plakin kanssa, se näyttää medusalta, mutta ei. Kaverilla on ruori päässä

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  16. Markus

Markus New Member

"Helmet" on head

17. Markus

Markus New Member

Help! no again .. i had a translator on when i was typing. I apologize, I'm a new member.

18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Flashed glass will not wear off because the color is a second coating of glass applied to the first while both are hot. Staining and cold paint can both wear off.

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

How do I open up my own threat, I have a big problem with the Wedgwood plaque, it looks like honey, but not. The guy has a helm at the head

20. Markus

Markus New Member

So, i ask again with english language.
    I have problem, how i can ask here my wedgwood problem, i have blue jasperware plaque. Its look like medusa but the guy in plaque was helmet on head. I dont found the answer

Draft saved Draft deleted