Art Glass Mystery Piece

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Found this at an Antique Shop today, and I'm stumped. It Stands 6 3/4" tall, and is hand blown. I thought it has a signature, but when I was finally able to get it home.....it is actually inscribed To Tom Bernot (Bernat?) 1976. I can't get a good pic of the inscription, but it is pretty clear in good light with a loupe. The "waves" around the bottom and the base is iridized. The vase itself reminds me of Correia art glass, but I know many made similar. Any Ideas or guesses? The vase itself looks to be brown hues, but in the right light it takes on a more blueish hue. Any help or comments would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!
    DSCN2489.JPG DSCN2490.JPG DSCN2509.JPG DSCN2508.JPG

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. Bdigger

here are a couple more shots of the inscription and bottom. DSCN2518.JPG DSCN2521.JPG DSCN2519.JPG

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

WOW. That is one over-the-top dramatic vase. Love it. Good luck with it, my friend.

Mill Cove Treasures and Bdigger like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Theres a Tom bernot on facebook , and hes older , so maybe message him and ask if he knows about it ? Im guessing a glassmakere friend made it for him .I love it .

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Wow, Johnny!

Bdigger likes this.
  6. Bdigger

I'm probably the only person in the world not on facebook LOL! So that won't work. Thanks for the suggestion though! I bet there are a few Tom Bernot's around.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Actually , there were only 2 on facebook so I shot off a message to them with a copy of the pic so lets see if they respond . :)

Brenda Anna and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You're not alone, Mike! Me neither. ;)

That is one strangely cool vase!

9. Bdigger

Thank you Johnny. I'll be interested to see if they reply with any info.

10. Bdigger

Thanks Bakersgma. Yes it is interesting to say the least. I have never seen anything quite like it. I looked at it quite awhile in the store, and couldn't see the siggy, until Ryan was looking at it and the light just caught it right. I wasn't able to make it out until I got home, and was surprised to see it as a "To somebody" rather then a signature. I looked for a makers signature, and couldn't find one, but I will look again a few more times in different lighting just to be sure I haven't missed it. Sometimes they can be a bugger to find.

11. Bakersgma

Is that mercury glass on the base?

12. Bdigger

No....it's just got a carnival glass like treatment on it.

13. Bakersgma

14. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Lovely, a trumpet vase rising up through clouds?, curls of smoke?, knot of snakes/serpents?. The colors are breathtaking.

--- Susan

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

VERY NICE!!!!!!

17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Unusual and very pretty!

Draft saved Draft deleted