Art Glass Vase Help. Longshot!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong here. I'm totally confident that the vase is where it needs to be. I have total confidence in the Auction House.......but I have to wonder what would have happened if I listed it on eBay. I wish I had another one to do a comparison.
    But if I sold it for a few thousand on eBay I would be a nervous wreck.....so much could go wrong or it could be returned or arrived damaged or all sorts of things.
    At least now I don't have to worry....they have it. It's fully insured and all I have to do is wait, which I'm good at.....and if it sells, I get the proceeds just before a few weeks before Christmas which will be Great!.......But still I am curious.

Bakersgma likes this.
  2. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

When I first opened this thread, my gut reaction was "How cool! I want that and I hope he sells it on ebay!" This is sooo exciting! I hope you get oodles of money for it! Do you remember where you found it?

3. Bdigger

Yep. Found it at a local flea market and paid $10 for it!

4. Bdigger

BAD NEWS! Rago's called me today. They don't feel comfortable with the rim of the vase, it's too sharp, they think it may have been ground down, and they won't be able to auction it comfortably. They will return it to me.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

7. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

MAJOR bummer!!:(

8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

:arghh:

I had that money all spent for you! :(

9. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

So sorry .....but it IS still a nice piece and you can enjoy it "as is"...Though , there may be a market for it on Ebay..(even with the rim well documented in the description)..as there are many collectors who want pieces even if they are not perfect!..they just want them...and with flaws..can afford them...

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I agree with Janet on this! I think there is still money to be made. List on on Ebay. Be sure to describe the rim -- heck, I wonder if it would be a good idea to say a major auction house estimated it at ..$ but then felt the rim was ground down so couldn't take it, but concurred that it was authentic.

11. Bdigger

I probably will list it on eBay when it gets back. I never noticed any problem with the rim....if it was ground down a little, it was hard to detect. It took 4 experts in a room to come to that conclusion, and they didn't sound too sure of that determination.
    Of course I would be totally up front about what I was told in the listing.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looking at others on-line, they do not seem to be ground at all. They look to be fire polished. Whether they were all produced this way I can not know. There are not a lot of examples with definitive pics to compare to.

13. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

First, congratulations! :) Second, I would shop around auction houses before I would sell it on Ebay....no question. I'm finding Ebay a difficult place to sell most things lately. I know some of you feel differently, but anything over a few hundred I would not feel comfortable selling there. Items get lost in the shuffle there, people are looking for the ultimate bargain and nothing more, and there is no peace of mind until feedback is left. I would choose to sell most anywhere other than Ebay! Ebay is a decent place to buy, but I think you have to have a high profile reputation as a seller (think wwolst12) to get top dollar on most things. Check out live auctioneers and see what houses sell similar items as your vase.

14. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Brad, you're correct. The rim should be fire polished.

15. kentworld

Would someone 'splain to this non-glassie what fire polished means?

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have always loved Rago's except for one thing that bothered the hell out of me. 10 or 11 years ago I sent photos of my Sicard cicadia vase. I received back from a woman ( I shall not name her but she is always on AR) she must have been a new hire at that time. I shall paraphase her email. "Thank you for submitting a wonderful Sicard Weller example vase it does not have the value for our auction but does have a value of 200 dollars." This is a photo of the vase. First of all it is not the Sicard that worked for Weller and was made in France by another Sicard. Now to give her credit it might have been examined by an intern but she should NOT have signed off on it without looking.
    greg

Attached Files:

17. gregsglass

Hi Wendy,
    Fire polished means the piece was put back into the flames to smooth the edges so it feels more like a Safety Rim. Old Fostoria American was fire polished to smoothe cubes.
    greg

18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Greg, I guess that everybody makes mistakes. You are probably correct that it was looked at by somebody else. Those two items you posted look very different! Meanwhile I just looked up some information on the Sicard cicada items, and learned a little bit. Thanks!

19. gregsglass

Hi Fig,
    It was disheartening since it was the first object I submitted to Rago. I used to go to their auctions and really liked the people there. Except for the arrongent,nasty and etc etc
    that they have doing furniture. All the rest are really fine people and do the best to help. They have sold 4 items for me and I have been happy with them.
    greg

20. kentworld

Thanks for the explanation, Greg. Makes sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted