Art Glass Vase Help. Longshot!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Well i got the vase back today. Looking at the rim, I could not tell if it has really been ground. Although it is flat arounf the top, it is also polished, You can feel roughness on the inside of the rim, which may be small and I mean Miniscule chips, which might mean that it was ground. You can't really see them with the naked eye. When the vase is set on the rim, it sets evenly and there is no wobble which you might expect from it being ground. I will take their word for it. I think I have decided to list it on eBay, I would appreciate any input on how you think I should do it.
    The Auction house told me when they called about consigning the vase that they would want too put a Low estimate of 3 to 5 thousand dollars and a reserve of $2500.00. Your opinions would be appreciated. Do I do a BIN/ BO? Straight Auction? Duration? Starting price? I'm lost!

2. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

If you can see that the top is polished, well, it shouldn't be.
    It should be fire polished....which doesn't look polished.....:wacky:

Maybe a good close photo of the edge?

3. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

I would do a BIN since you have an idea of what you should get for the item. Also you can control the payment by making it instant payment. To be honest, though, I'd search for another auction house to take it before I'd sell something that expensive on Ebay. But that's just me. Sounds like you're set on Ebay though, in which case I'd set it at $5000 or Best Offer.

4. Bdigger

Of course I will be totally upfront about the possibility of it being ground down.
    Here are a couple close ups of the edge. Hope it helps 001 (640x184).jpg 001 (640x184).jpg 003 (640x120).jpg 011 (640x519).jpg

Attached Files:

5. Bdigger

This experience with the Auction House has actually cost me quite a bit in shipping the vase back and forth, I don't think I really want to try other Auction Houses which would probably have the same outcome. I would think that if I told them XXXX auction house thought it might have been altered, they would say thanks but no thanks anyway.

6. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

I love your vase! I may be way off base here but all things considered, I think you are probably right about not going to other auction houses and racking up more fees. Having been ground I would think most people are going to see that as damage. It is not in original condition. I would be happy to get 30% of the price of an all original piece. And ebay is where people come to find deals. I would think it is as good a place as any for this piece. But as I said I could be waaayyy off base :wacky:

7. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. You're probably right from a monetary standpoint. You have to understand that my advice is coming from a standpoint where I would rather get $500 less for the item rather than having to deal with all the potential messes that selling through Ebay might bring. I'm starting to sell way less there intentionally and it's made me MUCH happier!

8. Bdigger

Yeah , That is a worry Moontymes (eBay hassle). But I think it will get a wide audience on eBay. I ve never had a piece this valuable before, so I'm going back and forth on what to do.
    No matter what standpoint your advice comes from . I appreciate the input!

moontymes likes this.
  9. Bdigger

Thanks for the input Tauriel!

Draft saved Draft deleted