Featured Art Nouveau (?) Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, Dec 23, 2020.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Hello, once again, everyone !

Although it is something I might not ordinarily collect, I recently came across (and purchased !) this quite attractive bottle vase.

The vase appears to be of milk glass and stands at about 24cm high. The design is hand decorated and is fairly detailed. On the base is a hand written initial(s) followed by 1897 (the production date, perhaps - or maybe just coincidence).

Are there any experts out there who might be able to suggest a possible place of origin and likely period of manufacture ? However, I assume that it would be too difficult to narrow it down to possible manufacturers, as well.
    All comments and assistance will be appreciated. 163_-535695777.jpg 163_296676589.jpg P1030359.JPG P1030360.JPG P1030362.JPG P1030356.JPG

Many thanks indeed !!!

PS Merry Christmas to everyone !!!!!!!!!!!

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

It's beautiful!

Merry Christmas back to you!

I wish I had an answer to your question..........but hopefully someone will.:cat:

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That kind of letter with numbers is often a design identifier. Very pretty piece!

And a Merry Christmas to you too!

4. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

I love this piece. The colours are stunning :happy:
    A very merry Christmas to you too.

15Stiftgasse, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I don't see Art Nouveau, it looks more Persian inspired to me. I agree, very pretty :)

15Stiftgasse, judy, Ally330 and 5 others like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Cerainly Persian inspired and porcelain. I suspect it's Austrian or German.

15Stiftgasse, TraceyB, judy and 4 others like this.
  7. 15Stiftgasse

I think I might have just solved the mystery myself ! According to the net, it looks like it could be a Thomas Webb Moroccan Vase. However, one site mentions the glass company Moser which was formerly located in Austria - which makes the posting by Ownedbybear very interesting, as it was purchased in Austria.
    At least I have something more positive to go on, now.

Once again, thank you all for your help and comments !!!!

TraceyB, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Very lovely. I'm getting the impression from several sites that it is English. Here is one "Thomas Webb (1804ā€“1869) was an English glassmaker and the founder of Thomas Webb & Sons , makers of fine English glass and crystal. Webb entered the glass industry in 1829 when he became a partner in the Wordsley glassworks of Webb and Richardsons. Webb entered into business with his father, John Webb in 1833 at the White House glassworks prior to founding the company known as "Thomas Webb & Sons" in 1837. Webb moved to the Platts, Amblecote in 1840, then relocated to the Dennis Hall site, near the town of Stourbridge , England in 1855. Thomas Webb died in 1869 and was succeeded by his son Thomas Wilkes Webb."

15Stiftgasse, TraceyB, judy and 4 others like this.
  9. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Pretty. Merry Christmas.

10. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hoom. I need new glasses! I was seeing what looked like porcelain.

15Stiftgasse, TraceyB, judy and 2 others like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

It was the white bottom Iā€™m sure

13. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Well, I'll be.... I've had several pieces, thought Bohemian for the Middle East market. Yeah, Persian.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Just to throw in another wrinkle, this vase could be where Mr Webb found the design or vice versa. It wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer in one country cribbed a design and slapped a new name on it.

15. 15Stiftgasse

It looks like rink28 has cracked the mystery !!!! Thanks again to one and all !

TraceyB, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

hate to be a downer, but you should double check the information. Several discussions on Webb Moroccan on FB glass groups, is said/thought to be a 'myth' that Webb made these pieces, thought is possibly Harrach.

you first thought is probably right:)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  17. Ally330

Ally330 Weekend thrifter

How beautiful!!

15Stiftgasse, TraceyB and judy like this.
  18. 15Stiftgasse

Thanks once again for all your contributions.

After further (and final!) research, I am now also of the opinion that the vase is indeed from Bohemia (now part of the Czech Republic) - which, by no coincidence, is just over the border from the country in which the vase was acquired.

Wishing you all a better 2021. (Well, it couldn't get much worse, could it ?)

19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

with an address like Stiftgasse it's possibly the whole k.u.k Empire that might be searched...;)

Draft saved Draft deleted