Featured Article: Current Strong Market For Antiquarian Books

Discussion in 'Books' started by Joe2007, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A rare Covid-19 bright spot: Antiquarian collectibles at $100,000 and higher—especially books relating to science and math.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...struggling-but-the-rich-are-buying-rare-books

See link above for an detailed and interesting article on the current market for antiquarian books. I don't think this news is especially newsworthy since the top end of many antique and collectables markets have been particularly strong leading up to and during this pandemic - coins, comics, sportscards have all seen healthy sales since people with discretionary income are cooped up and are bored. Will prices return to normal after the pandemic ends?

Your Thoughts?

Ex Libris, Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

Thank you Joe, for posting this interesting article. This is about the top of the market though. I am a collector of old books on the bottom of the market. I do not see much difference over the years (I collect for about 20 years now). There are not many people that are collecting really old books (<1800) in my country and most people do not see the "cheaper" books as an investment. In the last decades a lot of monasteries in Europe have been closed and their libraries were sold, so the market was flooded with relatively cheap old books. Good for me, but not for investors.

Luckily I do not collect as an investment. My books will be donated to an old library in Antwerp when I am gone.

0082eeda-6d70-11e8-bbb5-5dd1b32e0b1c.jpg

patd8643, Joe2007 and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I used to buy large collections of old books. My OH is an architect and used to fill clients book cases with old books.
    greg

pearlsnblume and Ex Libris like this.
  4. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

Do you mean Other Half by OH? Sorry, I am foreign....:D

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi ExLibris,
    I am sorry about using strange lingo. I usually make sure that I do not make mistakes like that. Yes OH does mean other half. I am sure SHE would not appreciate the OH.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

Ex Libris and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted