Featured Articulated monkey

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by crazycatlady, Oct 22, 2022.

1. crazycatlady

crazycatlady Well-Known Member

Found this little chap at a fair, there is one like it on Etsy described as 1910s, is that right? He's unmarked.

thumbnail_IMG_20221022_123432.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20221022_121139.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20221022_121206.jpg

Born2it, Boland, bercrystal and 7 others like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Is it silver? If this little guy is totally unmarked, I think it's going to be hard to date. It doesn't look 1910 to me, but who knows.

How big is it? Would it be a charm for a charm bracelet? He has some nice detailing. Very cute! :)

4. crazycatlady

I'm pretty sure it's silver, haven't tested as my acid test liquid is so old I'm not sure it would work.

To me it's more pendant size than bracelet charm, 1 1/4 inches long including the jump ring.

Born2it, pearlsnblume and ulilwitch like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The one on Etsy they want $265.+ for! And I kind of DO think it looks 1920s era and silver....circled is where I thought I saw a mark, but now thinking it's just some of the stampings....probably!

thumbnail_IMG_20221022.jpg

6. crazycatlady

I'm shocked at the price too :eek: mine was nowhere near that amount. Thank you for looking for a mark, sadly it is just the way the 'fur' has been textured.

kyratango, KSW, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would be very doubtful of a 1910-1920s attribution.

Debora

crazycatlady and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think the seller is confusing this monkey wit a 'fumsup' charm (thumbs up).
    A fumsup is a charm from the late 19th-early 20th century that was given to soldiers or their loved ones when the soldiers were sent off to war.
    The fumsup looks like a silver or other metal baby with a wooden head which you can touch for luck. It's arms can move up and down, simultaneously, but it's legs are rigid. It usually has the letters 'fumsup' on it's body.
    Fumsups have a considerable value now, for humble little charms. This monkey is not a fumsup.

I believe fumsups are British, but for some reason my grandmother had one, which she gave to me. I have no idea how she got it, maybe through Belgian relatives? A Belgian sweetheart of a UK soldier?
    (The Netherlands was neutral during WWI, but Belgium suffered the full blow, and many British soldiers lost their lives there.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    kyratango, crazycatlady and Dessert58 like this.
  10. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

I love him!
    The way the fur is made...to me he looks 1910-1920 ish.
    I have a victorian star-shaped silver brooch which has the same pattern as his fur. Will try to make a picture when there is daylight again.

11. Any Jewelry

Looking forward to seeing your furry star @Dessert58 .;)

Born2it, kyratango and crazycatlady like this.
  12. Dessert58

My furry star!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    The other way around: monkeyboy has a starry fur!

13. Any Jewelry

:joyful:

kyratango and crazycatlady like this.
  14. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

I have a sterling articulated teddy bear pendant that is quite similar… let me see if I can dig it up -

15. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

I’m afraid this won’t be of much help, but here’s the bear… only mark is ‘925’ at back of head, & as shown he measures one inch including bale.
    83A4C2BC-F571-4260-A925-88BDC4CD4139.jpeg 8E743DD9-4A46-461C-93B1-BB3C01F04869.jpeg

16. Dessert58

4388072C-A352-476E-85F2-5CC0D5AE51B6.jpeg It was a cloudy night and I had much trouble looking for the stars, but finally I found it. Although I must confess the pattern on the star is not nearly as good a match as I thought it was. The Lovebirds have the same pattern though. So I guess I just have furry lovebirds? :hilarious:

17. crazycatlady

Aww love the teddy :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. crazycatlady

Oh wow yes same pattern, thank you for searching for the stars :happy: that's really helpful and your furry lovebirds are cute :)

Any Jewelry, Dessert58 and kyratango like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

;)
    Very pretty. The technique is a take on those faceted silver 'studs' you see on some antique and vintage pieces, only these stud-like decorations are star-shaped. A star-studded star.:happy:
    Similar, but not the same? More organised than on the monkey, where they are more random and rough looking, imitating fur.
    Yep, well groomed furry lovebirds.:pompous::playful:

Dessert58 likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Draft saved Draft deleted