Artist ID Help Needed and Appreciated!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Tim27, May 18, 2024.

1. Tim27

Tim27 New Member

image_50460929.jpg image_50460929.jpg image_50460929.jpg image_67511809.jpg image_50396929.jpg Hello All! First time poster here. I recently purchased this painting at a moving sale and have been stumped trying to identify the artist. The painting measures approximately 24x20. I was told by the very nice couple I purchased this from that her parents purchased it at auction in the 1970's in Naples, Florida. The only other information they had was that it was from a prominent and well-regarded artist from the Naples area. There is a small card with a note on the back that states it was purchased at auction in Naples, Florida in 1974. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    LauraGarnet02 and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Welcome Tim.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That looks very much like Factory Art. I dont think you will ever identify the artist.

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

5. Tim27

Tim27 New Member

What leads you to believe that? I'm pretty new to all this and want to learn. Thanks!

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

for one........staples......I hate staples......staples holding the canvas to the stretcher .

Marote and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Tim-'Factory Art' is done by stables of unknown artists primarily for the inexpensive/budget tourist market.It's like a handmade post card,a ten or twenty buck souvenir as opposed to a three dollar postcard.
    There's really no need at this price for it to be a 'signed' piece.

Marote, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

A lot of it is just developing an eye after decades of looking at and buying art. You become familiar with the technique ,style,etc. Id venture to say the vast majority of art out there is this kind of thing. For countless years this stuff was popular mainly because it was dirt cheap. So everyones grandma,uncle,parents etc had one like this. Not to say they dont have decorative value,just not much. Ive been into art far longer than I care to admit and I barely know anything.Its a vast and complex field (like Asian ceramics!) . Go to museums and galleries and look at art up close, watch stuff on youtube (See if you can find Sister Wendy,she was fabulous!) and eventually you will start to develop your own eye. Most of all,buy what you love and enjoy looking at.

Potteryplease and Marote like this.
  9. Tim27

Tim27 New Member

Thank you all for the responses! I feel like I learned a lot already.

Draft saved Draft deleted