Featured arts crafts curdled rigaree - signed

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rclinftl, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

the only company I could find that did this little rigaree incised pattern is Wheatley - they also did some curdled glazes - but this one has a brown interior and what appears to be a signature on the bottom - anyone have any ideas? bowl.jpg bowl3.jpg bowl2.jpg bowl4.jpg

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Hi and welcome!
    Sorry, I've no info for you on your pretty little bowl... I just wanted to thank you for expanding my vocabulary with the word "rigaree".
    That said, does the term apply here? Per the Corning Glass Dictionary: "A raised band or pattern of bands, usually made by crimping applied trails". Also, it seems to be a term strictly associated with glass, not pottery.
    I would have simply called the pattern on your bowl an incised "swag", but WDIK.

Rigaree:

[​IMG]

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I was derailed by same, went to look it up online, found the same, thanks bluumz.

It's a lovely little bowl. I think incised swag is a great name for the design!

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Agree with Bluumz - not true "rigaree."

pearlsnblume and bluumz like this.
  5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Dunno who did it, but lovely glaze inside and out. The squiggle mark on the bottom looks vaguely asian, but I don't think it is -- more like a really good studio potter. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted