Featured Arts & Crafts Style Pottery Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Nov 13, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

IMG_8193.JPG IMG_8194.JPG IMG_8195.JPG Old? Damage or production flaw?
    Thanks

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like damage to me. Looks like someone was using it for a hammer.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What a shame!

Mill Cove Treasures and judy like this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's possible that they had difficulty with the base as the glaze might have stuck on whatever they glazed it on (paddle?). I'm sure there's a technical term but it's escaping me at the moment. They might have need to chisel it to get it free. It's a lovely glaze.
    Don

judy likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

In the Arts and Crafts style but not of the period. Killer glaze but the damage just kills it.

judy likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would be tempted to have the damage part sawed off and just use it as display. Wait it looks like it is fine on one side. Put the damage to the back.
    I love that glaze also.
    greg

kyratango and judy like this.
  7. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the comments.
    Verybrad, is there any giveaway about not being from the period? The base?

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I know nothing about pottery but dang! i don't think i have ever seen that kind of damage before, almost like it was sliced off, it's a wonder it's still together.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Yes. That dense red clay and base configuration is the giveaway. Looks to be hand turned and decorated studio pottery. Someone had good skills.

Draft saved Draft deleted