Featured Asian Box. Chinese desk/scholar box or something else? Rosewood?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Nov 17, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

20803B9D-3921-486A-B148-E6C931FA51C8.jpeg B634F23C-4AAD-4762-A043-BFB45FF27A32.jpeg CAFA7F40-03D5-43DC-8C8D-BB9D28460749.jpeg FE266691-D7FA-4FC8-85DA-9ABB493C2379.jpeg 2A9FFA9D-A716-4F52-9DA5-0BE33E140DF5.jpeg 4450D390-843C-4F7F-AEB8-C742891AE21F.jpeg Picked this up recently. Chinese? Scholar box? Desk? Rosewood? Estimates on age? So many questions. Unfortunately the drawers stick from some warping or shifting of the wood and the latch on tops button is stuck. Still a neat little box.

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Not sure this box is supposed to be anything other than a come hither. Perhaps it started out as an old shoeshine box, or calligraphy, or art box, but it doesn't appear to be very well made, not something that would hold up through time. The wrought iron handle and hinge pieces look like 1970s period. Surely someone stood on the top and it looks like the construction wasn't strong enough to hold them. I doubt it was made to deceive though, perhaps it was some kid's school shop project?

The top piece appears to be made of oak, the drawer sides look like plywood? We have more furniture people who may know more about your box. I could be completely wrong about my first impression here. Let's wait and see..

Please show a picture of the drawers and underside.

J Dagger and i need help like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not sure it is Chinese. Maybe India, Pakistan, or somewhere else altogether. (Great help, I know.:rolleyes:)
    Not a scholar box, and not rosewood.
    A box for 'stuff'.;)

judy, J Dagger and kyratango like this.
  5. J Dagger

judy and i need help like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I believe it is a Japanese writing box, called a suzuribako.
    upload_2019-11-19_19-48-5.jpeg

Any Jewelry, judy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  7. J Dagger

I would say you nailed it! Quite similar construction to what INH posted except mine doesn’t look like it ever had a mirror so it had me wondering. Thanks for finding this for me.

8. 2manybooks

It helps that I have a very similar box in my own collection. :) I had not bothered to research it before, but I had some ideas of where to look.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. J Dagger

Would love to see yours if you get a chance! They are neat boxes. I have an obsession with boxes to begin with so I’m biased but they have a simple and beautiful design imo. Do you happen to know what period yours might be from?

10. 2manybooks

I will try to post some photos tomorrow.

i need help likes this.
  11. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

If it's what I think it is - it's Japanese. I have seen Japanese writing cases in the past. They look similar to this.

2manybooks and J Dagger like this.
  12. 2manybooks

Here is my suzuribako. It was a gift many years ago, so I have no specific provenance for it.
    suzuribako Japanese writing box -3 (530x640).jpg suzuribako Japanese writing box - 2 (640x472).jpg suzuribako Japanese writing box - 4 (640x480).jpg suzuribako Japanese writing box - 1 (475x640).jpg

komokwa and i need help like this.
  13. J Dagger

Nice! Yours definitely has beefier construction than mine. Good to see a crack in the top panel isn’t exclusive to mine. Different sized top drawers too where mine are both the same size. Very attractive box! Thanks for sharing.

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted