Featured Asian soapstone - anything?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by terry5732, Nov 9, 2018.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@terry5732 - You need to go back to see if there was one of those awesome wood platforms. ;):happy::happy:

i need help, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Terry,
    Originally I was going with Japanese, but the more I research the more I think it is a Chinese Budai as AJ suggests. I am not finding any examples like yours but found a couple of paintings with similar faces. The first Japanese and the second Chinese.

I am wondering about the wear on the base. The carving seems to fade from one corner or has worn off the base, and I wonder if this could indicate it was carried in a pouch as a devotional piece. Is there any other wear that might suggest this?

Also, I am not sure if this is intentional, but the shape of the base looks like a foot. Perhaps this is a by-product of wear and damage, but a Buddha's footprint is revered and offers great fortune.

hotei-kano-yukinobu.jpg ec3db1d8cdc57b3398a20849efcf784f.jpg

cxgirl, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

There is faint decoration beyond what is obvious on the bottom. It does not go all the way though. The center of the bottom has more showing of wear than the rest. It is not perfectly flat and is a little higher in the middle. Wear from carrying should show all around. I see no similar wear look on the sides or edges of the bottom.

It looks to me like the artist chose the raw stone with a vision of the creation beforehand. The orange veins are incorporated into blanket folds and such.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  4. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry. Sorry I can't add more, but I do hope its worth a small fortune.

komokwa and i need help like this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Any Jewelry, cxgirl, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted