Featured Asian teapot and sugar bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NTC Collector, Jan 29, 2022.

1. NTC Collector

NTC Collector Well-Known Member

I’ve got this lovely little teapot and sugar bowl - both seem to have some age but I know nothing about them. Teapot is 17cm wide (spout to handle) and 11cm high. Painted detail and storks on the lids. Japanese or Chinese character signatures on both. Glided handles and spout. Anyone able yo shed light on origin and age? E3D42E25-E414-4498-AE77-70A954BFB5AA.jpeg 7E99484A-5B76-4B3C-B1AF-3785C59A2613.jpeg B3146DB7-9162-4199-B0E4-6C622618596D.jpeg 2891B5E0-5596-4683-915C-35B91A9EDECA.jpeg 4B3BD8E6-0CE8-47F1-90E9-F8D4C9DD4633.jpeg 2C4F4D85-52BF-4F93-9395-40A0848385EF.jpeg

Born2it, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Japanese Satsuma ware export pottery, late 19th century or very early 20th century, It says Ogurusu zo (made by Ogurusu) on the base, not a very commonly found name. Some consider this factory went on to produce metal ware when the interest in Satsuma waned.

I don't have a copy of this mark in my database, are you OK if I use you pic to add it in - thanks.

3. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

I can confrim it is 20th century Japanese, and they are from the showa period and there is enough information in the backmark for someone to tell you who made it and where. I do not have this information at hand. That is all i can say for now.

Japanese Satsuma style ware. The crackle glaze appears intentional as Satumsa is generally earthenware with natural crackle, but it is possible these are earthenware, but to my eye they appear to be porcelain with crackle glaze. This is an aritificial crackle they brush on during production.

The Tsukuru Mark is quite clear, I think the three lines indicate a valley. Maybe this has been made near Ishikawa which is unusual.

Satsuma was produced in Kagoshima, Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka, Kobe, and Kanazawa by hundreds of known artists, in many styles and by literally thousands of unknown decorators. Meizan has pieces authenticated as being done in Kanazawa (Kutani).

Maybe you can check this site here.

https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/satsuma.shtml#satsumayaki

download - 2022-01-29T125710.930.png

download - 2022-01-29T130608.280.png

4. Francisco G Kempton

download - 2022-01-29T125710.930.png 5.png

Attached Files:

5. Francisco G Kempton

That is brilliant, I would have thought this might have been 1930. Would you think this is porcelain or Earthenware. Would the three line relate to a valley ( which is part of the Kutani mark under Mt fuji)

Also i found a great resource, which i think you will like.

I have never seen such a comprehensive satuma backmark index as this..
    https://doccdn.simplesite.com/d/18/...1ef/SatsumaMARKS-UPDATE-VERSIE-NOVEMBER21.pdf
    download - 2022-01-29T133748.910.png

6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for this! I am always looking for references. @i need help - do you to pin this somewhere?

Born2it and Francisco G Kempton like this.
  7. Francisco G Kempton

Your welcome. I think this has to be one of the best Satsuma Backmark collections I have seen. Also it has a seach and find function too.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the etymology is, but it usually means small, or phonetic 'ko' in the On reading, and 'Ok/Os' in the Kun. They seem to use the Kun for this maker which is unusual, most use the On (old Chinese) reading.

It is earthenware, it wouldn't be Satsuma otherwise, the crackle and colour gives it away.

The style does look later, but the references I have suggests this maker was active in the Meiji period and moved to metal work later in the Taisho/Showa. Details are sketchy though so can't be certain.

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’ve pinned it with @Miscstuff backstamp link. Thank you.

10. Francisco G Kempton

Yes, we posted at about the same time, so i was really suprised you found the maker of the tea set and the period. I knew it might be possible but was finding it hard. I was looking more post 1930. I would not have imgained this style in ealry Meiji.

Great work as always Ce Bca

I am not sure if your familiar with the many Satuma Wisteria tea sets, they are found also in porcelain.

There is a good range from Meiki/Tashio to Showa range of Wisterai tea sets and it is difficult to distinguish the earlier from the mid century at times.

They do make porcelain wisteria in the satsuma style, and the earlier earthenware wisteria had a very smooth skin. Like this..

840596ab-1daa-403a-b465-d4c77b7bee6a.jpg

This was the porcelain version

download - 2022-01-29T161132.994.png

Then there were many varitions of the Scenic theme of the OP's tea set with these mid century versions. Soko is nother than spring to mind.

download - 2022-01-29T161220.077.png

11. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, Wisteria is a very popular pattern. I imagine as the interest in Satsuma/Kutani lessened in the early 20th century it forced decorators to move around. The Japanese economy suffered badly in the 20's and 30's which would also have contributed to such things, I suspect it is why you see Kutani painted in the Satsuma style during this period.

Francisco G Kempton likes this.
  12. Francisco G Kempton

That is interesting, and the clans and the kiln's they ran was so steeped in tradition and rules, there was also the folk art 'Mingei' movement in reaction to the urbanisation of so many potential potter's.

I found an interesting article an avant garde movement led by some Kyoto artists after the great depression.

https://studiopotter.org/crawling-through-mud-avant-garde-ceramics-postwar-japan

13. NTC Collector

Many thanks Ce BCA, great to have this identified and yes absolutely happy for you to use the pictures. Let me know if a clearer one of the mark would help.

Ce BCA likes this.
  14. NTC Collector

Thanks everyone, fascinating and so great to identify it. There was just something about it I liked when I bought it so I took a chance.

Ce BCA likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted