Featured Asian Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Shwikman, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

I have zero knowledge about this kind of thing. I did a few quick searches and was pretty overwhelmed with a wide variety of possibilities so I need your help!
    The pictures tell the story…it’s about 14” tall.

Thanks Folks!!
    BFFF68A0-9AA4-45A7-8085-FAB80E9AAF4F.jpeg BF54E4D8-1D07-438B-A1A1-622D69D902E1.jpeg BC8CB163-3252-4DFD-88B7-E38054C3BFA5.jpeg 1384DB5C-7D41-435F-860E-523427415F3B.jpeg 8AE7F476-634B-467C-A69D-F069AB17C7BA.jpeg

Ce BCA, Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely....and looks fairly recent..

LauraGarnet02 and Shwikman like this.
  3. Shwikman

Cool!
    What do you mean by “fairly recent” if you don’t mind my asking?

Thank You!

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Shwikman likes this.
  5. Steven S.

Steven S. Well-Known Member

You have a Japanese Satsuma vase with moriage decoration. Very pretty. Go to ebay and search "satsuma moriage vase." and you'll see many similar in the $50 to $150 range. Early 20th Century. Your vase is likely 1900-1920.

Here's something similar:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2744240271...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Since it is signed, you might find the manufacturer by going to Gotheborg.com and looking at the Japanese pottery marks. I have had considerable luck there.
    It is unlikely that knowing the manufacturer matters a lot for this time period and people buying these pieces. They're not rare but they still have value and are collected.

6. Shwikman

Great help folks! I really appreciate it!

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'm just not seeing that kind of age here.....

the one SS linked to...only states ..vintage...not antique..

but i've been know to be wrong.........:(:(:(..;)

8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

As others have said it is Japanese Satsuma ware. The current dating convention for this style is 1920's to the start of WW2, there is a collection which exists containing this style of work which is traceable to being purchased in the 1920's & 30's. Your example is signed 'Shinzan' in the On reading which is generally used for this type of work. It depicts 'Rakan' figures and again as others have correctly identified the added clay dots and lines are called moriage work.

I don't have a copy of this style of writing Shinzan in my database so if you don't mind I'd like to add it in.

9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Nice vase. Makes me think of a mismatch little tea set I have. The tea I think is much newer.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Very NICE looking vase! Why do Both of them (including the one on ebay) have such a mean looking dude on them???!

11. Shwikman

I don’t mind the least, and Thank You for the information!

Ce BCA likes this.
  12. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

LOL @Aquitaine ! I've often wondered who that grouchy looking guy is too. It seems like he's usually paired with the serene looking lady.

Shwikman and Aquitaine like this.
  13. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

He is a Rakan who has achieved enlightenment, so I guess he thinks everyone else is now irritating lol. The women is clearly still more reasonable and empathetic of course!

14. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Someone said its recent, but I don't think it is....Its Japanese and I think its the early quarter of the 20th century.....a few months ago I purchased a Lamp like this...and over the years...I've also collected several other smaller pieces...with matching wall vases etc....

Tanya and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted