Asian whatsit help needed

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

3" tall and 4 1/2" wide. The cover decoration looks like a transfer, I had to use a very strong magnifying glass to see it. The green decorations on the legs are raised and feel slightly different than the black, smooth plastic. In the photograph of the bowl, you can see the plastic is transparent. What is it's purpose? I remember it in my great aunt's house back in the late 50's or early 60's so I'm wondering if it could be older than that or is it from that time period. Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pat P likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

No idea about the object, but the birds are probably Asian or Indian Orioles... that is, *IF* the artist was even trying to represent a real species. :)

3. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you Gila. I just googled them. Very pretty birds.

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I can't help, but think it's very pretty.

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I can't wait to see if somebody can identify it. I mean, you can't put anything in it or on it, and yet it has that base, meaning it was clearly intended for display. Maybe it's just meant to be beautiful, and we Yankees and Mexicans are being too function-minded and thinking that everything should serve a use, other than pleasing the senses...

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

A candy bowl, maybe?

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh, wow... does the lid come off? I thought it was solid, no lid...

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I believe the fourth photo from the top is looking down into the bowl with the top removed, but I could be wrong.

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Ohhhhh.........

10. Mill Cove Treasures

Yes, the top comes off.

11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...
    I retract my oratory about pleasing senses.
    Yes, a trinket box, or mints or candy, I vote.

12. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

My guess is some sort of trinket-bowl for serving mints or nuts or candies, as GG suggests. I'm not sure what else it might be. On first sighting, it looks too small to be a rice-bowl. And it looks like it's made of plastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted