Asian Wicker Hat

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 15, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I guess a lot of Asian countries have similar type of hats. Any chance to ID the country or the region?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'd say that's palm fronds , not wicker.

3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Is not Wicker a general term and the material can be any part of a plant?

4. komokwa

Wicker is a material made of plant stalks, branches or shoots formed by a kind of weaving into a rigid material,

The bulk of the hat looks like leaves or fronds and are not woven but stitched into place.

5. komokwa

6. komokwa

Asian....but i can't pin down the style...

maybe a japanese version...
    [​IMG]

OH......& it maybe be bamboo leaves...

7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Conical Asian Hat. Coolie hat. Call it what you will. VERY common in Japan and China and many other places around Asia & SE Asia, just because it's so damn hot in summer, and it bloody pisses down with rain. These things have been made for CENTURIES (and are still being made today), so dating it will probably be impossible, unless it looks bloody old - at which instance, the only date we could give you is 'bloody old!' :p

IDing the country might be really really hard. These are found ALL OVER Asia. Singapore, Malaya, Indonesia, China, Siam, Vietnam, Japan, Korea...it could've come from any of those places.

8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Shangas, by any chance are you the favorite "weather personality" on TV in your area??? ;)

Commentary such as that would certainly liven-up the weather forecasts where I am. Our television weather "personalities" here tend to "soothe" people by saying things like "But folks our area had 7" more of rain back on August 12, 1804, so don't despair." :hilarious:

9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Hahahaha!!! Nooo! Sorry to disappoint! :p

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. ScareBear

ScareBear The real ScareBear

Vietnam is my guess.

11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

The conical palm frond hat of Vietnam is called a "non la" and comes in many variants; as Shangas mentioned there are many other possible countries of origin in that area also.
    This does look to have some age.

12. ScareBear

ScareBear The real ScareBear

Or Cambodian.

Draft saved Draft deleted