Featured Ask and ye shall receive ! Sterling bowl,Taxco ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by johnnycb09, Apr 16, 2018.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. Nate,Anund and Aaron,s amazing finds has inspired me to actually look through silver again. I found that silver porringer,a few souvenier spoons and now THIS ! I cant find the mark as of yet,its 8 inches long and 2 deep,notice the little hooves feet ! Any input is always appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Nice going Johnny ...silver fever is spreading!

Very pretty and well spotted.

cxgirl, judy, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so sure it's Mexican. The post 1979 system puts the city letter first, not last.

4. johnnycb09

I just guessed Taxco because of the edge reminded of it. The mark has me confused,as I know Asia used "silver" and Ive been looking for 925 T all over,no luck.Of course I then spent an hour looking at each and every tray spoon,fork etc!

judy, yourturntoloveit and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Ah, the pitfalls of looking at silver!

Nice enough bowl, but the markings are a mess. I'm not even confident that the numbers are really 925 because there is so much space between the 2 and what might be a 5.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like 92 . 5 ..... thus the space.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The INVERT & color change brought out the markings a bit more......BUT they ARE different!!!!! If that's a "V"....it's a very STRANGE one..... the boxed numbers..... to me look like This:

zNUMBERSa.jpg
    But what I think is a "T" could be some other symbol

The other below:
    zf0cGedCa.jpg

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, Johnny.
    I don't recognize this is a Mexican mark either. Maybe from somewhere else in Latin America?

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Believe India rather than Mexico...

~Cheryl

10. Any Jewelry

Could well be India. I was also considering Middle East. Options are still open.

johnnycb09, aaroncab and judy like this.
  11. johnnycb09

Thanks for looking everyone. Ive spent so much time looking at silver marks my eyes are bleeding. Now Im wondering if the last part of the mark isnt an "ST" ? You'd think the hooves feet would help narrow it down a little!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Have seen similar marks on Indian silver before, but a quick search finds only this flatware, described as "Silver 92.5 T": https://www.indiamart.com/affar-international-trade-linkers/silver-spoon-set-cutlery-set.html

A bit more hurried searching didn't really find any similar octagonal footed bowls, but did run across a couple of pieces with somewhat similar rim decoration:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HANDMADE-OL...955306?hash=item33e6a5c3aa:g:YCwAAOSwyltannbR

https://depositphotos.com/168159490/stock-photo-stock-photo-of-indian-sweets.html

Beyond that, got nuthin'...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, judy and aaroncab like this.
  13. johnnycb09

WAY more than I did! Thank you so much ! I would have never thought India. Off to search Indian marks. :)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Marking in India is entirely up to the manufacturers, who are generally reliable. Quality is important to them. India is working towards an assay/guarantee system to comply with the International Convention on Hallmarks. Most European states are member of the Convention (not all).
    There is a list of 'Observers', aspiring members who have not yet been approved. Sri Lanka and Italy are now on the observer list. But for many other countries, like India, it will take a lot of organizing and legislature before they can be considered.

johnnycb09, Huntingtreasure and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted