Featured Asking for estimate value, and rarity of Majolica jugs

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Paul Lloyd, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Paul Lloyd

Paul Lloyd Member

Please can anyone help with providing more information on these two majolica pitcher jugs? IMG_20201103_133337.jpg IMG_20201104_230854.jpg I would also appreciate an estimated value of these as well as their rarity. I can't seem to find this colourway anywhere. From what I understand already, Minton done these wheat and leaves jugs in golden yellow and green but nowhere can I find them in this colour. I also can't find the Minton trademark on them. I know the chip on the back side of one the jugs will detract from the value, how much will this affect the estimated value if they are of a certain rarity?

This is my first time on this fantastic forum, I will certainly be using this in the future as an excellent resource of information and advice - thanks in advance for any help!

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

They do have the Minton date mark for 1858; can't help with the colors.

3. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I am not an expert on these......but just looking around this is the feeling I got.......Original Minton Majolica is valuable, but there are a lot of reproductions out there also. Although the ones you show SEEM legit, any Minton I see online with that color Blue are reproductions. A chip will decrease the value about 50% in my experience. Check the diamond (registration mark) on the bottom if possible, that will give you dates of manufacture etc.....There are many sites that will show you the key to deciphering the registration mark. I can't say for sure that they are repro's or not. If real I would guesstimate them at $1500.00 each based on what I see for similar minton
    items (take $750 off the chipped one).
    Still I would not go above decorative value if bidding on them, until I was sure they were Legit. To me.....decorative value would put me at about $100 for the pair. If they were Legit.....I probably couldn't afford them anyway!

KikoBlueEyes, judy and Paul Lloyd like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. Those look way too sloppy for real Minton and the clay is far too thick, and yellow. Base glaze is too white, as well and the inside colour is all wrong. The moulding is very poor. I think copies.

5. Paul Lloyd

Paul Lloyd Member

Thank you all for your time and informed responses!!! This has been extremely helpful! I'm more convinced now they are reproduction.

6. Ownedbybear

You're welcome. Hope you haven't bought them. ;)

Paul Lloyd and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I had a majolica pitcher with that type of maker's mark on the bottom. Turned out to be a fake. Does anyone know if that mark is a possibly legitimate mark or not?

8. Ownedbybear

If you mean the embossed diamond, they can indeed be the real McCoy.

Paul Lloyd likes this.
  9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Paul Lloyd likes this.
  10. Paul Lloyd

Paul Lloyd Member

I just want to say thank you again for all of your responses, everyones comments help to build my decision on whether to bid on these or not, so I appreciate everyone's time

The marks underneath showing the lozenge and other identifiers such as the date mark seemed to be impressed/ embossed well and accurate in shape and form - does anyone else agree with this?

That being said I do take on board Bdigger and Ownedbybear comments on their concerns with colour and quality of paintwork and glaze, poor moulding. Does anyone else share this view?

11. Ownedbybear

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

My feeling is that it's not right. Be interesting if you could get the exact details in the diamond and tie it to Minton but this just doesn't look like Minton

13. Ownedbybear

Thing is, it's easy to find a diamond that cross references to Minton, hm?

John Brassey likes this.
  14. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

It is, but if it doesn't cross reference to Minton and has a Minton date mark then we know for sure that it's wrong.

15. Ownedbybear

16. tie.dye.cat

Do they usually have numbers in them? Because I think mine was just the diamond, no letters or numbers.

I think I may have posted it back on the ebay boards long ago and was told it was just some (fairly) modern day junk. It really did not look all that well done, so I wasn't surprised.

17. Ownedbybear

A genuine one will have letters and numbers, yes. I've seen fakey ones which are just the shape.

John Brassey and tie.dye.cat like this.
  18. tie.dye.cat

That makes me feel better. I was 95% sure it was a fake as it was, but that helps confirm it.

John Brassey likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Glad to oblige!

John Brassey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted