Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Jewelry
>
Asking Opinions on $$$$ Value
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Bronwen, post: 13180641, member: 5833"]I used to be quite good at projecting where a cameo in an eBay auction would fetch up. No longer, not in years. I have said repeatedly that the cameo market has become completely wonky. </p><p><br /></p><p>The price of gold has been a big factor. There also seems to be a distorted idea of the value of things like genuine shell! hand carved! old! left facing! signed! The penultimate feature is completely irrelevant to value. I fear I may have had a hand in alerting sellers to examine for signatures & ask a premium for those pieces.</p><p><br /></p><p>There's no such thing as an absolute value, only the most someone is willing to pay for it today. Guess the real question is whether it is being offered in the best venue to get it in front of the person willing to pay the most.</p><p><br /></p><p>Personally, I probably would not buy Lo Spagnoletto at all, unless very, very cheap. If I had a special interest in de Ribera, or was trying to amass lava cameos of as many different subjects as I could find, my limit would be considerably higher. In some cases I have paid silly money to gather the Hours. Do you have a sold price for him?[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Bronwen, post: 13180641, member: 5833"]I used to be quite good at projecting where a cameo in an eBay auction would fetch up. No longer, not in years. I have said repeatedly that the cameo market has become completely wonky. The price of gold has been a big factor. There also seems to be a distorted idea of the value of things like genuine shell! hand carved! old! left facing! signed! The penultimate feature is completely irrelevant to value. I fear I may have had a hand in alerting sellers to examine for signatures & ask a premium for those pieces. There's no such thing as an absolute value, only the most someone is willing to pay for it today. Guess the real question is whether it is being offered in the best venue to get it in front of the person willing to pay the most. Personally, I probably would not buy Lo Spagnoletto at all, unless very, very cheap. If I had a special interest in de Ribera, or was trying to amass lava cameos of as many different subjects as I could find, my limit would be considerably higher. In some cases I have paid silly money to gather the Hours. Do you have a sold price for him?[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Jewelry
>
Asking Opinions on $$$$ Value
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...