Atlas anatomicum cerebri humani: 168 cuts through the human brain - what kind of book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by journeymagazine, Sep 3, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this large, heavy book at a thrift store - Prof Dr G Jelgersma Atlas anatomicum cerebri humani: 168 cuts through the human brain : one hundred and eight prints in helio after photographic records of original sections

I plan to post it on eBay but wasn't sure what kind of book to list it under - is this a text book? A reference book?

Is it a original 1931 copy?

Thank you for your help!

ps - my computer photo program is screwing up again; every other pic I tried to reduce came up Error!
    The book has a stack of photos in it of the brain with a flimsy onion type paper covering each one

BOOK PROF DR G JELGERSMA ATLAS ANITOMICON CEREBRI HUMANI  168 cuts through the human brain 1AA.JPG

Bronwen likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

Just took photos again - fingers crossed they don't say error again when I resize then!
    It worked this time! (I think my computer doesn't like me if I start to early!)

book brain book 2aa.JPG book brain book 3aa.JPG
    book brain book 4aa.JPG book brain book 4aaa.JPG book brain book 6aa.JPG

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can't help with the date of the edition, but those cuts are the ones that are now on display in Rijksmuseum Boerhave in Leiden, the Netherlands.

Gerbrandus Jelgersma was a Dutch psychiatrist, who made an important contrbution to 'mapping' the brain. He was convinced that every psychiatric condition had a physical origin.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Would you call it a text book? Reference book?
    Something else?
    PS - Thanks Any Jewelry!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

There were only two editions of this book, 1931 and 1932, so valuation between the two is going to be difficult. The 1931 edition was published in English, Latin, and German, while the 1932 edition was published in English only. It's most likely a second or later print, as there are Hardback editions, which are usually the first edition prints. Your image appears to be of a folio edition. I've attached a picture of the hardback edition for reference.

I would classify it as an Antiquarian Anatomical Atlas, and tag it as genre: anatomy & histology of the brain. If you plan to list on Ebay, you would probably want to use the publishers name, and additional descriptives, like Antiquarian Anatomy, Medical, Psychology, etc, as well as language, and any other printed information on the first few pages as tags, so that it pops up in a variety of search terms.

This is a WorldCat listing of each edition; you may be able to determine it by tracing it to theirs, via the way your copy lists the publisher. Assuming you have an English edition, the 1931 and 1932 English editions have different formats for the publishers names. https://www.worldcat.org/formats-editions/250990094

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and silverbell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted