ATTN: CONSIGNORS, BEWARE OF MIDWEST AUCTION GALLERIES IN OXFORD, MICHIGAN

Discussion in 'Auctions' started by H-Chan, Mar 2, 2015.

1. H-Chan

H-Chan New Member

A Second Update on My Unpleasant Consigning Experience with Midwest Auction Galleries

On April 3, 2015, Jim Amato sent me an email saying that I would receive his payment by Wednesday, April 8, 2015. Unfortunately, he lied again.

I am going to to file a small claim against Midwest Auction Galleries in the 52nd District Court, 3rd Division, located at 700 Barclay Circle, Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA, 48307. In fact, it is easy to file a small claim in Oakland County. All I have to do is to fill out Form DC 84 (AFFIDAVIT AND CLAIM, SMALL CLAIMS) online and have a notary public notarized the form and my supporting documents, and then, send them to the 52nd District Court.

I have never thought that my first meeting with Jim Amato will be in court.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. H-Chan

H-Chan New Member

I have notified Oxford Community Television in Oxford, MI, of this matter. In fact, they sent me a message today saying that they would look into this.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good for you boy !!!
    Go get some justice !!!;)

janettekay and KingofThings like this.
  4. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

The BBB is spineless.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi H-Chan,
    Do not get excited too much. If they do not show up for court you win BUT then you will have to hire a sheriff/marshall to try and collect any money they can find.
    My neighbor won $4750. against a driveway paving company. It has been three years. The crook keeps changing a word or two in his company's name and the marshall has to start all over again. I hope you do not have this problem. The television company stands a better chance for you. I send good luck to you and keep after the thief.
    greg

janettekay and komokwa like this.
  6. H-Chan

H-Chan New Member

MIDWEST AUCTION GALLERIES, INC. IS NOW CLOSED FOR BUSINESS

According to a post on Yelp on 4/8/2015 (by J S. Lake Orion, MI), Midwest is closed for business. This is what she says in her post, "Today April 9,2015 after continuous calling Midwest gallery after not receiving my money from one Fred Stone picture the was sold on auction in November, I stopped in the Oxford building only to find a lock smith changing the locks,claiming Jim Amanto and his crooked crew have been evicted!! Gone I'd my money and 2 other art pictures!! I'm stumped on what to do to retrieve what's mine!! Any suggestions??"

To view the above mentioned post, please click "Other reviews that are not currently recommended" in the link below.http://www.yelp.com/biz/midwest-auct...Kkn6iSTPkHmOkA

As listed in Midwest's website, they are having an auction on April 24, 2015. However, their April 24, 2014 auction is not listed on Liveauctioneers and Invaluable (as they normally would do). I think their website is now a SCAM.

There is a new post on the Facebook page of Midwest Auction Galleries - Review (posted today by Connie Hall). According to the unpaid consignor, Patrice Cataldo and and Brian Fichtner went to her house and took her antiques (worth over $22,000) for the 12/20/2014 and 2/14/2015 auctions. I really feel sorry for this scam victim.

Facebook of Midwest
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwe...733?sk=reviews

If you have been scammed by Midwest Auction Galleries or you are an unpaid consignor of Midwest Auction Galleries, please report your loss to the Office of Attorney General (AG) of Michigan and the Federal Trade Commission.

AG of Michigan
    michigan.gov/ag

Federal Trade Commission
    ftc.gov/contact

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi H-Chan,
    I am so sorry this happened to you. Report your loss to both of them and then stand in line. It is people like these that give the antique field a really bad reputation.
    greg

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

And the Facebook page is not live any more.

Fig

9. H-Chan

H-Chan New Member

FURTHER VERIFICATION NEEDED: MIDWEST AUCTION GALLERIES, INC. IS MOSTLY STILL IN BUSINESS.

I've called their main number a few time, and the Number: 248-236-8100 has NOT been disconnected. But their business phone greeting is gone.

10. Charles Liu

Charles Liu New Member

Jim Amato is a liar! He totally owns me more than 30k. I am a consignor. He promised me countless that he will pay me, but never. He even mailed me two bad checks more than 23k. I am hiring a lawyer now to file a case again him. Never trust him. Period.
    We need to find all victims to sue him together. Government shall do something to prevent him cheating others!

11. komokwa

This Jim seems like a bad guy !

12. prd0030

prd0030 Member

13. H-Chan

H-Chan New Member

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Great news!

H-Chan likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Good for you, H-Chan! I'm glad that the news team helped.

H-Chan and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

Good for you Chan.....& congrats to Local 4 News.....I hope they are actively helping others too !!!!

H-Chan likes this.
  17. Charles Liu

Charles Liu New Member

May I know how to contact Ruth to the Rescue? Jame Amato owes me more than $17k. Thanks!

18. Figtree3

H-Chan and komokwa like this.
  19. H-Chan

H-Chan New Member

Hi Charles. I am very sorry to hear that. Please contact Donna at donnarttr@gmail.com . She is a Ruth to the Rescue volunteer. Good luck!

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Excellent news!

Draft saved Draft deleted