aubrey beardsley the climax wood print

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Dec 1, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I am about to take it out of the frame but from what I can tell now, it has some age and is not an offset print.
    But something is not right. There are no vines around the head as can be seen on other examples.
    I know there were two versions, the original is more ornate and it was later revised for the book.
    Any idea what do I have?

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

o my................

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like Medusa's head ... and hopefully something worth more than you shelled out!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. kardinalisimo

5. kardinalisimo

Took it out of the frame. Thick paper, about 18 3/4" X 26" but it appears to have been trimmed.
    The original prints are supposed to be "line block prints". Never heard that term before:

"The artist’s drawing was photographed and a reverse photographic negative was contact-printed onto a photosensitised metal plate. Etching by acid was used to eat away the white areas of the design and the plate was then mounted on a wooden block, inked and printed. Like a woodcut, a line block could be printed in the same press as a book’s text.
    For the artist this technique brought considerable advantages, not least the fact that a drawing need not be of the same dimensions as the space it was destined to occupy on the printed page, but could be made of any size and later reduced or enlarged photographically"

I just can't explain why am I missing some details?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have a 4 color Beardsley print on heavy stock that is similar in how it is printed. I always thought it might be a serigraph. I never had any interest in it, having it for sale on and off for several years at various places...... even after dropping the price down to $12.00. I still have it somewhere .....

KingofThings likes this.
  7. kardinalisimo

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted